New Boots still costing me $$$ (broken kick start shaft)

tekx

Mar 15, 2007
i cant afford to be laid up while injuries heal so i want the odds in my favor. ive never owned a pair of riding boots in my life, but its time.
i bought them a few weeks ago and decided to blow the dust off em for the first time.
my first impression of them is not good. i hopped on my KX and commenced the starting procedure like i always do. only this time there was something missing.... FEEL. about 5 kicks in my foot almost hit the ground, and im looking at my kick starter lying in the dirt. :yell:
so i went with plan-B, my YZ. my second impression of the new boots is kind of scary. ive never used so much rear brake... to the point of locking em up when before i could hardly tell i was applying them. and shifting? omg! i must have sounded like a noob cuz its like im starting all over on "how to ride a bike". im almost afraid im going to brake the shifter like the kick-shaft.
i believe im going to reposition the rear brake lever to sure that, and maybe the shifter too.
which brings me back to the kick-shaft. ive never busted cases open before. it looks fairly easy on that side.. almost like it can be done while its still in the frame. no?

can anyone share any insight on this subject?

mmz77

Oct 15, 2006
You will eventually get used to them and it takes time. Also if they are new, you will have to break them in and after a while they will perform more to your liking...

just_a_rider

Jul 25, 2006
You need to just wear them around, do some stooping letting the toe section bend and wear thick socks or your in for some blisters. Kick starter shaft can be done while the engine is on the bike. You will have to take the water pump off and the water pump impeller and drop your brake lever outa the way. You should not have to pull the clutch cover off only the housing that surrounds the clutches and the clutch cover is bolted to that, the housing will slip off over the clutches so the clutches will not have to come off. After you get it off remember how the old shaft is in there. you'll be working with the shaft and a spring and you need to get the tension right on the spring for it to pull you kick lever back up right. You will have to disassemble the parts off the old shaft and put them on the new one so remember how they came off. I did mine with a little trouble getting the new one back in there and getting it set right. You will also need some new gaskets for the cover and the water pump, it's best just to get a gasket kit that way you'll have gaskets for other applications. Do some searches and maybe you can find some pics to help you do this.

jason33

Oct 21, 2006
youll need to re adjust the shifter ,and rear brake for riding with the boots
or you will have a long time getting use to them
and miss a gear all the time when shifting-probly
kicker shaft is easy- get a book or use online parts finder to see the pictures

ecy063

Sep 15, 2005
I have the same bike and the same thing happened to me. I spent a lot of time working on jetting and such so the kx starts real easy and people :whoa: when they see how softly I kick the kx over and the bike just fires up!!

Apr 2, 2005
just_a_rider said:
You should not have to pull the clutch cover off only he housing that surrounds the clutches and the clutch cover is bolted to that, the housing will slip off over the clutches so the clutches will not have to come off.

Not sure on that particular bike... but on my YZ250 2 of the 6 clutch cover bolts go all the way into the main case. just a head up if it doesn't come apart nice for ya.

tekx

Mar 15, 2007
"Kick starter shaft can be done while the engine is on the bike"
now THATS what i wanted to hear. back when i was a kid i had a '79 yz80 and the shifter shaft was sheared off which pretty much ended that things life cycle.
i just dont know if i have the patience to get used to the boots. they are soooo stiff i wonder if ill have the control i have without them. i thought about selling them but ill give them a chance.

thx for all the replies.. im glad i found this site.

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
Yeah my cousin bough new boots. And he let me try them.. Man they were difficult. I had teh same problem as you. Weird shifting. I have to use my whole leg to shift not just my ancle. And i locked up the rear tire alot... But i guess it will be something you get used to. It would be better to learn with boots than break and ancle :cool: .

destructo

Feb 24, 2006
Ive had to actually make myself get boots and wear them, I hated em at first, because I only fast trail ride, but from skateboarding for so many years and twisting my ankles so much after a kick or too on the new YZ 250 my akle feels like exploding, like a fresh sprayn each time and the boots give tons of support, now I love them and are used to them, without them I probably couldnt start my bike. They also make big jumps a breeze. :laugh:

Apr 2, 2005
question for you guys. I'm a super tall (6'4"), slim rider. My boots are basically kinda loose from the ankle up. like I have enough room to get a couple fingers in front or back. This probably isn't the best. Also i wear my pants outside my boot (most MX pants are too short so i went with the SHIFT Squadron pants). Should i be wearing extra socks or an ankle wrap? Maybe I just need to work out!

kta176

Jan 12, 2007
You should try some knee guards. They're pretty cheap and should take up that little bit of space, not to mention that they're a cheap way to prevent a broken kneecap.

Top Bottom