dankilgore

Feb 16, 2004
I ride a 2001 KDX220 and on occassion my front brake lever feels soft and sometimes almost pulls to the handlebar. My fluids are full. How do I know if this is a problem with worn brake pads or if some other problem exists?
I posted this question yesterday and then lost it somewhere in the forum. I apologize if this is an inconvenience for anyone who might have answered already. I have selected instant e-mail notificatio for any answers this time.
Thanks. Dan

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
mine seems to do that too! Im not sure, but I think its normal with anything thats hydraulic. (correct me if im wrong) But both of my brakes will do soften, not to the handlebar, or maxed out, but will, soften half what they are fully pumped up. My front brakes are BRAND new, and my baks are a few months old. After I use them, or pull them in a little bit 1ce or 2wice when im riding, they will pull firm. then after, if I dont use them for a while, the same thing happens.

IMO, its normal with hydraulic brakes to do it a Little bit, but Im not sure about all the way to the bar/maxed pushed or pulled.

Someone please help BOTH of us out.

Thanks.

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
You might have air in the lines. Might be the pads too. Its easy to bleed the brakes and get air out. You need to learn that anyways. Just take front wheel off and inspect pads.

gn83tm

Dec 30, 2002
I would check the runout on the rotors. They may be bent a little and causing the problem you describe. I haven't personally run into the problem too much on bikes but on race cars it is common when the rotors become warped.

What happens is that the runout in the rotor pushes the pads (and therefore the caliper piston back) so when you hit the brake you use up a lot of master cylinder stroke just to push the piston back out. I've known some drag racers (cars) who intentionally leave the front wheel bearings a little loose so that the rotor will shimmy a little and knock the pads back, therefore reducing brake drag.

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
Sound slike air like Braahp said.

If you have never bled air out - this is a good way to start.

1. Put the bike on a center stand of some kind.
2. Pull of the master cover.
3. Loosen the drain bolt on the disc brake.
4. Attach a small 1/4 line to the drain bolt and run it to something to hold nasty oil.

Ok here you go...

5. Slowly - very slowly - start pouring brake fluid (Dot 4 I think) into the master at the same time you pull on the lever. Repeat pulling ont he lever 50+ times and always keep pouring fluid. Dont over fill the master and DONT let it get empty. Just keep going and after a half can of brake fluid you will have pushed all the old fluid out and any stuck air out too.

This is not THE perfect way to flush a line - but it works really well and is super easy. Takes all of 5 mins.

Bolt things back up and you are done.

sn

Top Bottom