Little_John

Jun 1, 2004
I don't know how, but I've stretched my chain...or so it appears. I dunno, I'm new to all this, but there's about 1/2 inch too much slack in my chain and my rear sprocket is wearing weird. I've been told I should replace both the sprocket and the chain. So, I went on-line to bike bandit and started checking out parts. Now I'm just confused...

I know rear sprocket tooth count will change the bike, so I can just go home and count the teeth in the sprocket and get one just like it. The chain is a whole different matter.

With all of the choices (630 K Chain, 420 STD Chain, 420RX3 Gold chain) how do I know what to buy? Do I really need to count ALL of the links to know which one to buy? I believe the 420, 630 etc is width, but how do I know? My bike has definitely been modified, I'm not the first owner and I don't know that it's a stock chain otherwise it'd be simple.

HELP!!!

Thanks,
Little_John
:eek:

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
On the left side of that page (near the middle) it will say:

Tire Size/Chain Size/ Sproket Size/Battery/Spark Plugs Crossreference

»Honda
»Kawasaki
»KTM
»Suzuki
»Yamaha

clicking on the make of your bike will show you a chart with the stock tire size, chain size etc.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
The 2000 RM 125 uses a 12/49 sprocket combination and a #520 standard chain (114 links) stock.
I would suggest going to a 13/52 sprocket set-up. You will see better chain wear and not change the ratio from what it is now. You will need a longer chain to do this. Get a #520 standard chain in 120 links and break it as needed.

Little_John

Jun 1, 2004
Jaybird said:
The 2000 RM 125 uses a 12/49 sprocket combination and a #520 standard chain (114 links) stock.
I would suggest going to a 13/52 sprocket set-up. You will see better chain wear and not change the ratio from what it is now. You will need a longer chain to do this. Get a #520 standard chain in 120 links and break it as needed.

I noticed every group of chains also sold single connecting links. Do chains not come with the master link on them already? What's the difference between an o-ring, non-oring, standard etc chain?

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll do that. While I'm replacing one sprocket I might as well change the other.

Senior KX Rider said:
here is some info http://www.bobscycle.com/AP/APPLICATIONS.LIST.DIRT.HTML

You did not give any info about what bike you have but if you go to these application charts it will tell you what sprockets and chain the bike should have

Thanks for the info. That's a good page to have bookmarked.

Sorry about not putting the info in the post. It's under my name, I've only got the one bike....2000 Suzuki RM 125.

Thanks all,
Little_John

JasonWho

Apr 10, 2002
What?...What?...What?...YEAH!! Sorry, can't resist due to your screen name.

I would seriously look into what Jaybird said. He is a chain guru.

520 is a regular chain size. If you replace both sprockets and the chain at the same time, it will give you a fresh start and let YOU, know exactly how old the items are.

There are many brands to choose from. You usually get what you pay for. After you get your new chain and sprockets, be sure to read up on chain maintenance. There is a lot of good advice on proper chain maintenance on DRN.

Little_John

Jun 1, 2004
Thanks JasonWho, I'll most likely do what JayBird said. I like fresh starts and it really helps with maintenance to know how old your equipment is.

Screen Name?!? No, that's my real name...backwards:moon: hehe...and yes I hang out with Robin Hood, but only on the weekends, and I don't care what he says tights are NOT "in". :joke:

Just one more thing...
Do chains not come with the master link on them already? What's the difference between an o-ring, non-oring, standard etc chain?

Little_John

JasonWho

Apr 10, 2002
If you don't pay no tolls, we don't get no rolls.
Little Jon is a rapper who sreams a lot and is hard to understand.

I am not sure on the master link situation. I think mine came with one, and you could buy an extra for future maintenance needs, or as a spare.

You can search for a ton of info on all the differences between, non o-ring, o-ring, x-ring, etc. The info you find in a search will be better than how I could explain it. You will just have to decide based on your particular needs and wants.

Little_John

Jun 1, 2004
JasonWho said:
If you don't pay no tolls, we don't get no rolls.

Robin Hood men in tights...I dig it.

JasonWho said:
You can search for a ton of info on all the differences between, non o-ring, o-ring, x-ring, etc. The info you find in a search will be better than how I could explain it. You will just have to decide based on your particular needs and wants.

Cool. For some reason I thought I HAD to buy a certain kind.

Chili said:
Yes your new chain should come with a masterlink.

That's great.
I appreciate all of the information folks. It really helps.

Little_John

JasonWho

Apr 10, 2002
Shig - LOL!!! I knew someone would get it! :-)

Just look for Lil' Jon on BET or MTV. You will laugh your chain right off your sprockets.

Also, check for a Chapelle show parady. He's one of those rappers who always walks around with a jewel encrusted chalice to drink from. He's as nifty as the Ying Yang Twins.

Little_John

Jun 1, 2004
Okay! I got it...woo hoo :yeehaw:
Watched the Lil Jon parody from Chapell...a buddie of mine loves that show, he had the clip...funny :rotfl:

Really, I'm not "slow", I just don't watch a lot of T.V.

Little_John

P.S.
His is a "rap name", but mine...I git it from my mamma (Juvenile) hehe

SpectraSVT

Apr 17, 2002
O-ring and X-ring chains tend to be heavier and last longer. Don't have to clean them as thoroughly as a standard chain because they are internally lubricated while a standard chain has no lube unless you put it on which is why it gets messy to clean. The heavier change can affect HP feel a little as it is heavier but I have not actually confirmed this on bike but my new O-ring chain is coming tommorow so I may know Sat. O-ring/X-ring not sure what the diff. is between them but they are sometimes twice the price as a Standard chain. Less maintenance too if I recall correctly.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
A standard chain is a non-ring chain. An O-ring chain has rings shaped like a donut that are mounted between the outer and inner sideplates where the pins go through the bushings. There is lubricant placed inside the bushing to keep the pins lubricated, and the rings keep the lube in and contaminants out. An X-ring chain is a ring chain that has rings in the profile of an X rather than an O.
X-rings tend to create less friction than an O and also tend to make a more reliable seal.

There should be no less maintenance placed on any of the different chain types. Actually there is more intense maintenance required on a ring chain than a standard (contrary to popular belief).
Reason is that the rings are crucial to the longevity of the chain. It is imperative that you keep them clean, and supple by applying lubricant. Only if you use a thick, gooey sort of lube like chain wax will you find a problem with hating to clean the stuff off. That sort of lube also can help to keep grains of sand or dirt on the rings which can wear or tear them making the chain junk soon. A ring chain also needs lubricant between the roller and the bushing the same as a regular chain does.
When your chain goes, so will your sprocket set...take care of it.

Only if you plan on doing little or no maintenance will a ring chain absolutely outlast a standard roller chain.
In fact,(also contrary to popular belief), if you practice proper maintenance, you can see more life out of a stanadard chain of the same quality as the ring chain, and they are usually cheaper to buy.

http://www.best-motorcycle-chain-lube.com/Chain Maint.htm

Little_John

Jun 1, 2004
Thanks for all of the info. That web site really helped as well. I now know that my sprocket is pointing, and I do in fact need to replace my sprockets and my chain.

Based on the info from Jaybird I'll most likely buy a ring chain, it's not that I don't plan on doing maintenance, I just don't think I'm doing it right. So, until I'm comfortable with my maintenance program I'll run something that can take a beating and still last a while.

Thanks for all the help folks...

Little_John

Top Bottom