ob1quixote

Jul 23, 2003
Since the demise of the Ride4Kids only offroad event at Aonia Pass, dirt riders have had no charity ride.

Sam Shaw, organizer of the R4K Aonia Pass events, has found a charity that welcomes the support of the Offroad Community. It is the Dream House for Medically Fragile Kids.

www.dreamhouseforkids.org

They take children with medical problems that are not in-patient problems and move them into a home care situation. The kicker is, these kids, because of being orphaned or from abuseful or neglectful homes, would end up spending their childhoods in a cold sterile hospital without DH4K. Hostital staff do the best they can for them, but they also have other duties. A hospital is a great place to be if you need to be there, but not a place to be raised.

DH4K's program is geared towards a child only staying a year. During the year, they will be cared for in a homelike atmosphere. Prospective adopting and foster parents will receive training in the childs particular needs before placement. This will reduce the chance that the child will end up hospitalized down the road, and the family will fully understand the childs medical needs, no suprises.

Please check out the DH4K website to learn more about them. You can check them out with the Georgia Secretary of State's office at

www.sos.state.ga.us/securities/charitysearch.htm to see their status as a charity

The ride will be April 25 2004 at Aonia Pass in Washington Ga
Come ride the Dream House for Kids Family Fun Ride, its just $35
An event flyer will be available soon, and I will post it so that y'all can share it with other riders and post at dealers in your area

Lets do something good, and have a good time doing it!

Robert

joereitman

Jul 2, 2003
Robert, the track is supposed to be excellent, the weather looks great, my new Wiseco topend is in, along with new reeds and chain, plus all maintenance done, so I expect to be there. I will be in an old blue Jeep Cherokee pulling a black rail trailer, and will be riding an 03 KX250, no #'s. Hope to see you there, and maybe some other forum members too... :) Feel free to call me if you want me to get there early and help in any way. 706 206 0073.

joereitman

Jul 2, 2003
Here's my report posted on GOR last night:

"The track was great. I would not have believed a track in Georgia could be this loamy, well groomed and dust free! It was the best I have ever seen any track, anywhere.

They added some new jumps, such as the new double after the front straight tables and drop off. Smooth face, 60', 4th gear pinned. The other jumps were very good too, especially the single to table on the back straight. Some serious flight time potential there.

The turns quickly developed some nice rut berms so you could rail through. There were flaggers at almost every jump, all day long, so safety was emphasized. By the way, per Sam, the event promoter, they are in desperate need of more volunteers next year. Sam and his crew worked their tail off all day long, to ensure it was fun for all. They have been cutting trails for weeks.

I Rode the 13 mile loop and really enjoyed the peace and solitude and shade after the action of the mx track. I even got to ride another 1/2 loop at the end of the day as they were taking down arrows. The trails were in pretty thick woods, but not too tight. I ran most of it in 2nd, with a few opportunities in the open field sections to get to 5th gear WOT. It was apparent that a LOT of hard work went into event prep. I can't imagine having to cut in a brand new continuous loop just for a 1 day event! Although I may run it again in 2 weeks at spodefest...

I finally got to meet the owner, Perry, in person, after several phone calls. He was just as accomodating and enthusiastic about the event as Sam. Really a great crew."

Top Bottom