griffbones

Sep 12, 2006
My son's KX now has about 12 or 13 hours on it and the clutch has started to drag once the bike is up to temperature. There is no drag when it is first started, and I have always change the oil after every ride. Does this sound like just the friction and steel plates causing this problem? I have a brand new DP clutch kit in the garage already but I am not sure if these are very good kits? I want to get as close to no drag as possible, so any suggestions on brands of replacement clutches will be appreciated.

griffbones

Sep 12, 2006
Come on guys, anyone have any suggestions as to weather you think it is the friction and steel disks causing the clutch drag once the bike gets warmed up or if you think it is something else? As I stated the bike only has about 12 -13 hours on it including the break in time and my son is not an aggresive rider at all. I wouldn't think he could have worn out a basket or hub already? What about brands of after market clutches? Are the DP kits any good? Better to stay with OEM, Moose?
BTW this is on a KX100, I know it's a mini, but I thought some experienced dads on this side of the forum might have some insight or knowledge specific to the little KX's

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
If it's dragging and it's adjusted properly with enough free play then I think the friction plates are your best bet since I agree that it's highly unlikey he's beat the basket and hub too much so far. Unless your son is super aggressive I'm shocked he's trashed the plates in so little time, my kid beat on a KX80 for 2 seasons on the same set of clutch plates.

As far as the DP kit, you already own it so you may as well toss the plates in and give it a go, unless you are able to return it. We've tried kits from DP, Barnett, and EBC and I'll stick to OEM from here on out after my experience with those companies, others swear by Barnett kits so YMMV.

griffbones

Sep 12, 2006
Yes, I am very surprised at this problem. My son is not an aggressive rider at all. The clutch engages smoothly and does not slip at all and the bike shifts very smooth, but it just started this draging when hot thing this week. The bike will idle in neutral but if you put it in gear it pulls the engine way down and tries to kill the engine and some times will kill the engine, but it doesn't do this when it is cold only once the bike is hot. This condition also makes it next to impossible to start the bike in gear.
I have had a bad experience with the Barnett dirt digger kits, that's why I ask about the DP kits.

Last edited:
Top Bottom