New Clutch Pack, still wont work.

Acblind

Aug 21, 2010
I recently bought the barnett clutch kit to replace my worn one and after repacking it using the service manual as a guide, my clutch does nothing.

When i pull the lever, i can feel resistance as if the clutch were engaged, but anytime i shift out of neutral my bike acts as if the clutch is disengaged and jerks forward.

Any ideas on what i should check out/look for? I've had the whole assembly apart probalby a dozen or so times, making sure everything is just as it is in the service manual, and i have no idea what to try next.

Acblind

Aug 21, 2010
I put oil on them individually then left them soaking in a ziplock bag overnight

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
You might want to try it again... let them soak individually. I bought a clutch pack on ebay that was used and dry when I got it, and until I soaked those suckers individually over night in ATF Type F, they would *never* release, even dropping it into gear with the clutch lever pulled at high RPM. Trying to break it free left some pretty interesting knobbie burn out marks on my driveway.

I forget how I held them apart while soaking... maybe with finishing nails or welding rod or something, or maybe by putting them half offset from each other and stacking them...

motopsycho87

Dec 26, 2010
What does the clutch kit actually contain? Are the plates the correct thickness? If they are too thick this will happen? Have you accidentally put an extra plate in?

Acblind

Aug 21, 2010
it's the barnett dirt digger clutch kit with 7 steel, 8 friction, and new springs. I'm not at the shop today but tomorrow i'll strip it down and mic the new plates and compare them to the original, soak the frictions overnight and see where i'm at from there.

motopsycho87

Dec 26, 2010
Another thing, you dont have some silly clutch lever that doesnt disengage the clutch fully? Have you tried over adjusting?

I had this exact same problem on a 1980 KL250, and it was the cheapy aftermarket plates I bought were too thick.

Acblind

Aug 21, 2010
Stock lever. I tried adjusting to the two extremes to see if it made any difference but the problem was still there

sharky243

Dec 14, 2008
What year is your bike ? If it has a lot of hours on it, it may have a worn clutch push lever. It is the part that the clutch cable connects to to activate the clutch. When you pull in the clutch, this lever rotates. It has a notch machined in it. As it rotates, it pushes on the push rod, which pushes the pressure plate outward to disengage the clutch. If the lever is worn, it won't disengage the clutch completely and it will either drag, or not disengage at all.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
i had an 88cr250 that also had a bearing that rolled out after pulling out the push rod. it was just a large BB looking thing and was hard to find since i didnt know it was coming out at the time :pissed:

Acblind

Aug 21, 2010
Quick question, how tight should the 4 bolts be that hold the spring plate in place? Should I be able to compress the plate or are they supposed to be snugged down all the way?

Acblind

Aug 21, 2010
This is the fiche i found for my model. Looks like the guy i bought my bike from replaced the 4 spring bolts with ones that are threaded all the way through.
No wonder I couldn't figure why my clutch wouldn't work if i torqued them to spec, the springs would have no where to go.

95 Clutch Diagram

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Sounds like you have found your problem.

Acblind

Aug 21, 2010
Hopefully not much. He gave me a bunch of paperwork when I bought it with all the work orders for the suspension and top end. Looks like he sent most of it out to get done.
I got my clutch working. I was missing the washer which sits between the basket and the clutch hub, got one from the kawi dealer and everything is a okay.
Thanks for all the help guys.

Top Bottom