justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
Well DRNer mx547 might be a new convert, at the Golden Eagle Enduro he won the c-senior class. Not bad for his first woods race. I did tell him that now that he has ridden a qualifier format he needs to do a real enduro, timekeeping and all.
The race was a little warm with the temp being around a 100.

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
Say it aint so Joe! ;) MX547, congrads on the the win! I didn't see the tread on this race until late last week. Sounds like it was fun. My son started football this weekend, so that will be taking much of my free time, not that I have enough of it!

How about a full race report!

Smitty

Alowishus Devadander
Nov 10, 1999
Race Report

Here's a report for the Golden Eagle Enduro. First off the qualifier format is great for this kinda weather (100 degrees) and great for cross country riders who don't want to think (me). The first test was way tighter than I was expecting with a few well placed logs and just a general lack of rhythm. Have to do better next time. The second test was the best by far with more speed and great dirt. I believe this was the one with a short drop onto a small bridge. (If any one remembers TimR's "Eutopian Section", that bridge was my Eutopian obstacle. I hit that hill and bridge as fast as humanly possible, it felt like I touched the ground three times in three turns. By the way, I was completely out of control, but you couldn't tell from the outside!) It also had several small rain ditches that required some attention to jump around. The third test was also fun, with more speed and open trees. The second time through 3 I caught a much slower rider near the end who stopped dead center in a rutted trail. If he's a DRN'er, I didn't mean the stuff I said about you Mother or your goat. I did screw up the start of the second loop by showing up 2 minutes late (I can't tell time). Also got stuck around a tree with the front fender on #2 third time, that cost me 1.5 minutes. Overall Fun, Hot, and 5th A class :cool: . Not great but I'll take it. Take away 3 1/2 minutes and I'm looking better. My aggregate time was 47 minutes.

Oh yeah, I also tried to hang myself with a tarzan vine to the throat before the first test of the day. And YES!!!! I was on the trail. Even Coop thought I must have been bushwacking, why would he thank that? Nevermind, he's seen me ride.

justql

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
Smitty, I'm glad you had fun. Talk about a race loaded with talent the best cross country guys and enduro guys going head to head. I've only ridden the loop once on Saturday, and that was putting up arrows. Chuck Cooper did a great job of laying out a fun and challenging course that didn't just kill you.
A lot of the cross country guys and motocross guys thought it was a little tight.:p What did you think of the new trail through all of the roller coaster type hills.?
MX547- Lets hear all about it........
Sawblade- I figured you'd be there looking to get even with the cedar tree.
bswift-Where were ya??

Last edited:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
re: Where were ya'?

Camode huggin'. I was down for the count all day Saturday and Sunday was left to recooperating. Sorry I missed out. I had the new flywheel weight and a 50T rear sprocket on. I was probably going to ride my quad and do support but as it turned out, I needed the support. Next time.....:silly:

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by justql
Well DRNer mx547 might be a new convert

i'm still trying to figure out how to convert you guys to mx. actually, justql was so desperate for riders that he agreed to rig my score so i could win (there was one mylar conveniently missing from my class).:D

it turned out to be pretty fun, despite not really knowing what i was doing at first. i would have been lost without justql helping me. i wasn't really sure how to pace myself as i was the only rider on my row. i tried to keep a steady, fairly aggressive pace and not make any big mistakes. i managed to keep it on two wheels throughout. i tried to just imagine riding with you guys and trying to go fast enough to keep up. i guess it worked. the first test, as smitty said, was very tight (at least by my standards). the pro tapers don't quite fit between some of the trees. i scraped a few of them but not hard enough to go down. i was thinking to myself, "this is not going to be any fun at all". i felt pretty slow there. the second test was much more to my liking-except the guy starting me didn't give me a countdown. i was sitting there with my goggles off, dead engine, when he said go. it was a fast and fun section. i felt that i was riding fast and i felt competitive there. the third test was pretty good too. it seemed really short. i don't think it was nearly as long as the others. i had just enough time between loops to gas up, drink a cup of water and gripe at my kid a little. i thought that for the second loop i would really be hauling since i knew what to expect. well, the first test was still just as tight and frustrating as it was the first time. i actually was five seconds slower. i rode really slow between tests, trying to conserve energy as i was starting to get tired. i think it was the wrong approach, it seemed that going slower i was getting closer to crashing. i have a tendency to let the front wheel climb up the sides of the walls of those ruts-must be mental. i rode good in the second test, made up a lot of time. i got a leg cramp about halfway through but it went away after about a mile or so. at the third test, i was ready to get it over with, so i didn't even take a rest break. i rode about as fast as i could just to get out of there as quickly as possible. i don't think i could have ridden a third loop like smitty and the other a riders did. my index and middle finger on my left hand were going numb from clutching so much (they are very sore today, i can't hardly bend them). i took my mylar to justql and headed for the truck. as i was riding back to the truck, i was thinking about how good that coke was going to taste going down. i get off my bike, open up the ice chest--no cokes! i asked my daughter where my coke was and i got the standard ten-year old girl reply of "i don't know". well, i found it under one of the lawn chairs (she admitted leaving it out so she wouldn't have to go back for refills). the coke was about 80 degrees. i could have killed her. it was my last one and i was out of water too. needless to say, i drank it anyway. it's funny how important something like that becomes when it's 100+ outside. i thought i might die of a heart attack while loading everything up. it got really hot by then. i sat in the truck for about a half hour with the air on full-blast while justql and the rest of the dedicated crew tallied the scores. at first i thought that my mylar was missing because i was looking for it at about mid-pack. i was really surprised when i found it at the front. thanks to justql's poor math skills, i won by six seconds. they gave away some really nice plaques. justql even pointed out to everyone that it was my first woods race (i think he was actually making fun of me). it turned out to be a really good ride.

as far as riding a real enduro; i'll do that right after you guys spend a weekend with me at the dunes.:p

smitty, justql told me that you were there. i wanted to meet you but our rows were so far apart that i was still getting ready when you were taking off. it just didn't work out.
about your tarzan vine, i had an adventure before the first test too. while riding down that long straightaway along the fence line, a deer jumped the fence and ran across in front of me. i missed it by about twenty feet. do you think anyone would have believed me if i had hit it and crashed?

justql

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
LMAO. The story about your daughter and the coke is great. She didn't really like my teasing about starting her bike. You guys should've come up to the trailer Saturday night.
No really mx547, I was really bragging on you. The C senior class was the largest class there and was full of good riders. For a nonwoods racer to win the class is awesome. Our circuit needs riders like you. I didn't think about no one else being on your row, that was a disadvantage for a newbie. GREAT JOB. You did DRN proud.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by justql
GREAT JOB.

you guys are the ones that did a great job. it was a fun, well organized race. i imagine you made a good impression on the riders. two thumbs up.

Top Bottom