New Dirt Bike rider

FrankYZ125

Registered
May 19, 2006
Well, I need some help. I am a 15 year old boy, 5'7, and I weigh 145. I need you guys to help me out with what bike to buy. I was looking with my dad a couple of years ago about getting a Yamaha TT-R 125 L(No Electric Start), and now that I have a 4-stroke Suzuki Quadsport Z-250 it seems that if I did get a bike this year, the TT-R would not be enough speed to hang with my friends on the trail. I am just in the process of trying out my friends YZ 125 and that thi is very fast. I thought that I might be getting the YZ 125, but It would be in the next few weeks.
So, I know that from all of the reviews on the TT-R 230 that the bike sucks, so what bike should I go with. Keep in mind that I want a race bike, but this would be my first real dirt bike.
Thanks,
FrankYZ

loaner

Feb 6, 2006
I love my YZ. But I have to say the new yz250F's are getting pretty high ratings. I was impresses when I swung my leg over one. it will definately shorten your learning curve flyin in and out of corners on a 4 stroke. food for thought. good luck!

ComradeMikhail

Mi. Trail Riders
May 2, 2005
IMHO: I wouldn't reccomend a 4 stroke to a new learning rider because they let you get lazy and lug through a gear if you wanted, two strokes are more picky. Riding a 125 would force you to learn the proper gear to be in, etc. That being said, if you go out and ride both a 125 and 250F, and decide what you want from there, will be the best thing for you.

FrankYZ125

Registered
May 19, 2006
Thanks for your help

Thanks guys for all of your help on the subject, but I just wanted to say that I wouldn't go with the 250, or.....what do you guys think? Could a new learning rider be able to handle a 250? I need all the help that I can get on the subject, but the YZ 125 seems like it would be a good bike on the track definetly, but on the trails? what do you guys think?
FrankYZ125

FrankYZ125

Registered
May 19, 2006
No,

I have my friends 2006 YZ 125, but man has he trashed this thing, and I will probably be getting a new one, so I have on but the bike is a piece of crap, because of how rough he was. the frame is cracked and all of the plastic pieces have at least one part broken off.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…