New discovery regarding race sag?

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
Hi guys,
I was told recently by a Factory Connection rep during a MX school class that 100mm race sag is completely obsolete and now it replaced by 102 to 108mm. What is that! The manufacturers recommend usually a range of 90 to 110 anyway. It's not that much of a discovery. Is there a reason behind this?

bedell99

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2000
Hello No hand. That is a lot of sag. Unless your shock is valved and sprung for that, I see it starting to get in the harsher part of the travel. What type of riding do they recommend that for (Supercross, Motocross, woods, etc) I would love to here the suspension guru's take on this.

Erik

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
They recommend this for motocross, we had a short (and very basic) suspension setup course as part of the MX school class; given by that guy who works for FC. They said also that nowadays the stock suspensions are so good that's why the 100mm is dead and now it is 102 to 108. I have nothing against FC, I just found the info about the sag, well, strange.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
102mm, 100mm there is no difference-it will vary buy that much each time you set it?? 108mm is a difference and it would ride a tad lwo in the stroke for my liking, however its really how the rider prefers it-there is no magic number.

bedell99

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2000
Why would it matter if the suspension is really good to run more sag. That doesn't make sense. I respect FC very much, but that statement made by them is odd. I wonder what larocco and Windham are running??

Erik

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
marcusgunby said:
...there is no magic number...
I think this is so true because even from one bike to the other, that number may change. I can witness, the CRF450 for example, the 02 model had to be between 90 to 95mm to bend in corners while the 03 model turned perfect at 100mm.

JonB

Jun 1, 2000
I just had me suspension done by a friend who worked for and had a big part in developing much of how one of the “big” suspension companies modifies suspension. He in fact did most of the field-testing himself for this company.
When asking him how much rider sag to run he said right around 100mm but that it was much more important to have proper free sag set on the bike. He said if 110mm of rider sag gave me proper free sag this was better than 100mm or rider sag and not enough free sag.

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
marcusgunby said:
102mm, 100mm there is no difference-it will vary buy that much each time you set it??

I've been trying to tell people that for ages, but most buy into MXA's "precision sag" measurement. I'll bet there's not many folks out there that could tell 1-2mm difference in sag...including most pros. :bang:

Also NoHand, are you sure he was referring to MX setups? As I know some offroad guys like greater sag, and some bikes also prefer it (like my GasGas)

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…