kx125412

Mar 30, 2006
I pulled the pipe off my bike today to see what kind of shape the cylinder was in and it wasnt pretty. On the left side of the cyliner theres a big scuff mark that looks like it runs all the way up to the head and on the right side of the piston looks like a lot of blow by and metal chunks that have been squished onto the piston. The bike has tons of compressin whiched surprised me when I saw the damage. Take a look at the pics and tell me what you think
cylinder1.jpg
piston.jpg

YZ2501.jpg

Last edited:

kx125412

Mar 30, 2006
I looked at it again and it almost looks like it seized up at one point but its weird that it only did it on opposite sides, not just one spot or a 4-point seizure. No one has any ideas? I think I might just gonna run it as it is seeing how its going to need a replate anyways and then replace everything this winter.

kx125412

Mar 30, 2006
Its just not adding up though. It starts first kick and runs great and has tons of compression. I'm wondering if the idiot who had it before me replaced the rings only and didnt do the piston.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
I would do a piston change at the least. The previous owner probably re-ringed it, which is why it makes good compression, but never replaced the piston. That scuffing on the cylinder may be superficial. If there isn't any gouging, you may be ok to reinstall a new piston and run the bike until it burns that one out. If the bike makes good compression and has acceptable blow-by, there shouldn't be too much of a problem. Your cylinder looks almost new otherwise, that's a lot of cross-hatching for a worn out cylinder.

Top Bottom