New Favorite Lens?

Squid31

Jul 5, 2006
I bought a 300 f/4 last winter, and it is slowly becoming my favorite lens. It takes some practice shooting with a prime, but every time out I got a bit better with it. Here's a few that brought a smile to my face.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Squid31 said:
I bought a 300 f/4 last winter, and it is slowly becoming my favorite lens. It takes some practice shooting with a prime, but every time out I got a bit better with it. Here's a few that brought a smile to my face.

very nice... what lens is that?

I have a Canon 75-300 f4-5.6 USM and it sucks in comparison.

Squid31

Jul 5, 2006
Thanks. It's the Canon 300 f/4 IS.

I too have a Canon 75-300 (The first lens I bought after buying my Digital Rebel). I still have 3 shots in my portfolio taken with the Rebel and that lens.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Squid I love your pictures! REALLY nice stuff.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Squid31 said:
Thanks. It's the Canon 300 f/4 IS.

I too have a Canon 75-300 (The first lens I bought after buying my Digital Rebel). I still have 3 shots in my portfolio taken with the Rebel and that lens.

Damn... It's becoming quite apparant that I need a better job. Seems all the good glass is way out of my bidget. Even what I can find on evilbay..

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Dig the start shot, although it wouldnt bother me to see someone in front of Willard. The last one really catches my eye as well.

I've been tempted to try the 300 f4 since I'll likely never own the 2.8 but I'm not sure I could make it work for my day in and day out stuff that pays the bills. Guess my best bet would be to get one to try for one of the Nats since I make jack all out of those anyway :laugh:

Emile, you ever send in that CPS applicaton?

will pattison

Sponsoring Member
Jul 24, 2000
emile, that rear shot of roy is da bomb!!

when i see stuff like this, i'm just amazed at what the old-schoolers did with primes and FILM! :whoa:

wp.

chalie

Apr 13, 2005
Amazing quality of colour in these pics. Very nice shots too! you should be selling posters like these! I'd buy one!

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Me too! One with JSR and Marco Dubé!

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Oh man!!! That pic made my heart beat twice as fast! WOW

will pattison

Sponsoring Member
Jul 24, 2000
bmx, moto, skate, skiing....sports that in my opinion REQUIRE pro level talent to get truly great shots. that is honestly one of the greatest moto shots of all time, imho.

wp.

Squid31

Jul 5, 2006

Well at least you have the day to day stuff that pays the bills :cool:

I haven't sent the application in yet. I really don't know what I'm waiting for. Thing is, I would only use it for service on my gear. I can buy stuff cheaper in the US than I can with a CPS membership up here in Canada.

Squid31

Jul 5, 2006
will pattison said:
bmx, moto, skate, skiing....sports that in my opinion REQUIRE pro level talent to get truly great shots. that is honestly one of the greatest moto shots of all time, imho.

wp.

Thanks Will. Although I think it's a pretty cool shot, I dont think it's nearly as good as that. Maybe 2nd best :laugh:

Check out by buddy Dave's (Crash32) shot. It's just as sweet, maybe even better.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
And that's a scrub? Pretty impressive stuff. Thanks for sharing!

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I hear you on the service only aspect Emile. That's the main reason I'm interested is for expedited service and the potential to borrow Pro level equipment while mine is serviced.

crash32

Oct 10, 2006
Thanks for the comments Squid.
Man you stuff looks good!
I hope with the new lens my stuff looks as good as yours.

11kphotos

Dec 13, 2006
Chili said:
I hear you on the service only aspect Emile. That's the main reason I'm interested is for expedited service and the potential to borrow Pro level equipment while mine is serviced.

Ditto on what Chili said. I waited 7 weeks to get my Mk II back after it dropped a shutter. It's worth it for the service.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Squid31 said:
Thanks. It's the Canon 300 f/4 IS

It amazes me how flexible that lens is. I use mine in lots of situations where everyone thinks I am crazy, but I get some great shots. I use it a lot shooting indoor handheld shots of speakers at conventions etc. The last time I really got to take it to the track it was a benefit race and the "racers" were not all that "proficient" at the art of moto ... ;) I still managed a half dozen or so ...

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…