ballistic

Jan 13, 2001
Has anyone tried it out yet? If so how does it compare to a regular FMF powercore, in the noise factor, and how is the boost?

------------------
'01 DRZe400

ballistic

Jan 13, 2001
Come on guys, this thing has been availale for about a month now.. has'nt anyone tried it out yet? I'm trying to be "responsible" and buy a quieter pipe but would like some opinion on the thing.

------------------
'01 DRZe400

njw

Apr 18, 2001
Spoke w/ FMF today, Powercore 4 Q pipe suppose to be released in 3 weeks for WR250F. Though no official stats yet, they are claiming quiter or as quiet as stock w/ better performance. We shall see.....

BrentBlain

~SPONSOR~
Aug 21, 2000
my dad has been trying to get one for his bike for over 3 months now but FMF keeps saying 2 more weeks everytime he calls. His bike is an 2000 XR650R. He just ordered the powercore 4 with the Q tip and is going to try that. It is the same tip as they use in the Q pipe but with out an extra baffle inside. He is suppose to pick it up tonight and we are going out this weekend. My friend with a WR400 also bought the Q tip, he already has the powercore 4 on his bike now so i will report on that bike also.

-Brent

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
I think it's about time the aftermarket started to reverse this trend of ever-louder exhausts for four-strokes. If the performance is at least on par with stock, or maybe a little better, I hope they sell a ton of them.

BrentBlain

~SPONSOR~
Aug 21, 2000
several companies have them now. My dad has been looking for a year now but they are all in the making for his bike atleast. supertrapp has the ids2 (internal dics system), big gun has a quiet core, fmf, and a few others that i can't think of right now. With these 4-stroke mx'ers they are the loudest things you can imagine. But its all coming around.

-Brent

mtngoat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
I'm curious whether, like the power-core, the disks are internal and easily accessible to change. Three in my group (XR4s &XR650R) just bought the White Bros. E-Pipe and it's reasonably quiet with 12 discs and can be muted further by removing discs.

I have an old FMF megaphone with Supertrapp arrestor, which I'd like to make even more quiet. Anyone try the FMF PowerBomb (header pipe) with that weird, purported "sound deadening" bulge?

Last edited:

BrentBlain

~SPONSOR~
Aug 21, 2000
my dad was looking at the powerbomb but of course its not out for his bike yet. It seems all the powerbomb is a resonator. FMF claims to have better air flow or something. Not sure how much of a difference it is over the hi-flo headers they make. I am also kinda of curious to see the difference.

-Brent

theMotoMan

Jan 12, 2001
I did read something that FMF said about the "bulge" was invented to help keep things quiet, but I think it ended up making more/better power. I personally question how much it deadens the sound as the FMF pipes are among the loudest of all the 250F pipes. They are extremely loud, but the SX pipe performs pretty well.

DK

Feb 26, 2000
Interesting to hear others complain about FMF delivery. A friend of mine had a pipe for his XR400 on order from FMF for months, even had money down at the dealer and he finally cancelled the order after getting another promise it was going to be here in "a couple more weeks".

BUT if they do produce something quieter I'd order one. I had a Yoshi Ti pipe for my DRZ400 but went back to the stocker because it was too loud to responsible ride in the woods up here in OR. Heck I'd even consider putting one on my YZF which only sees the mx track.

DK

MBFTY

Uhhh...
May 4, 2001
Purpose?

OK. So they're saying that if it gives any advantage over stock, it will be a small one.

What is the purpose of this pipe then? Sure its quiet, but is it worth spending that much money on something that barely beats stock performance? If it were my choice, I'd just stick with the stock pipe and save myself the money.

I run the MegaMaxII on mine. Its quiet enough for trail riding, and has a decent power gain as well. So far, I am happy. The quality could be a bit better though. My silencer is starting to separate from the fitting that attaches it to the header, and of course, it cannot be welded. :(

One Dollar

Mar 15, 2001
Well my new FMF came in (Annerversary gift from wife, yes I worked it right:) ) and I installed it and took a short spin up and down the street in front of my house. I will give a woods report when I get it out there. Here's my review:

Fit and finish: Excellent. Mounted wonderfully to stroker header and 3 frame bolts. The strap mount (rear most mount) was a little tricky and needs to be mounted first. The only negative is it is Looooong! 18 inch can that sticks out 5-1/2 inches farther than stock. I have a MX rear fender and the end of the muffler is almost even with the end of the fender! For those that don't have mx fenders the stock exhaust ends at the end of the frame rails, so add 5-1/2" from there to imagine where it ends. All in all though it does look cooler than the stocker

Sound: I could not tell the difference from my stock exhaust (without butt plug) and stroker turn down end cap. Idle was very quiet. When the revs got up it got louder but again I could not tell any difference from my stock setup it might have actually been quieter. What I did notice was the tone was much sweeter, a kind of more throaty deeper tone than my stock setup.

Weight: from my pretty acurate bathroom scale I detected a 2 lb. savings in weight.

Performance: I have the stroker header and 33 mikuni (was on bike when I got it). With my limited street test I did notice some more low end, seemed to pull a little qicker. This will be further analyzed in the trails.

Overall: I am very happy, the only negatives are the length and a note in the instructions that said repacking would be needed in the lower chamber after 30 hours (seemed too soon to me and I thought it would be maintenance free, silly me).

By the way FMF said the dB was between 92 and 94 for the KLX when I asked.

As a gift, it's a great bargain :) BTW the wife got it from HiperSportd for $259

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
If you want to make good power you'll find that quiet exhaust canisters mean BIG volume canisters. So you'll see more long, or big diameter canisters in the future. Hopefully this pipe is a step in that direction.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts after some woods time on the pipe. Thanks for sharing the info.

Magellan

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 14, 2001
DK - What part of OR are you in?

1$ -- What bike?

simimi

Dec 20, 2000
thanks

Thanks for the post!

I read this thread when it first originated and was hoping for a test ride report.

I ride a YZ400 so I am hoping to quiet the 'beast' a bit. Let us know how it works out on the trails.

Mike

z4me

May 4, 2000
Ok I now have 3 rides on my Powercore 4 Q for the WR250F.

Fit and finish:
Fit is OK but finish left a little to be desired. The end cap does not fit real well - you can see exhaust gas is escaping around it. I will fix it w/ some silicone - but shouldn't be for a $300 silencer.

Sound and Performance:
The sound lies somewhere between the corked and uncorked. Basically the same or a little more quiet at idle but much, MUCH more quiet in the upper RPMs. I would say it is now no more noisy than your average two stroke. OK performance is going to be a little subjective - I only rode the stocker with the grey wire retarding the ignition - when I changed to the 4Q I cut the grey wire shortly afterwards. Before the grey wire was cut it was absolutely horrible. It was like sticking the exhaust baffle in with the YZ timing - bad. I was worried - but then made the snip and my opinion quickly turned around. Once I made the snip - I had more power with the 4Q than I ever had with the stocker. In fact, it is now hard to get on the gas without my rear wheel breaking traction. For a 225 lb guy (in gear) on a 250 4 - that's impressive power! It is quick to hit the rev limiter now as well - I will be trying the original WR timing again soon.

NOTE: To mount it to the stock 250F headpipe, a collar is inserted on the headpipe. This makes it very difficult to switch back to the stocker for comparison. If you want this ability I would suggest getting the FMF header as well.

weekendtoy

Jun 2, 2001
FMF lie through their teeth

I waited three months for the powerbomb to come out for my DR350.I called and was told "two weeks" for three months.The customer service sucks.They tell you what you want to hear to get you off the phone and the techs are clueless.I will NEVER spend another dime on an FMF product.I am to say the least very dissapointed in this company.This is not to say they make bad products though.

Top Bottom