New fork springs tight on the plastic spring guide

4banger

Jul 2, 2000
I installed Eibach springs on my 95 kx125 and they are tight on the plastic spring guide. The stockers just slide over and the other set of Eibach springs I had in there did not rub either. The new ones had to be moderately forced on there and I checked the part number and it was the right one. After installation, they didn't seem to make any funny noises or have any noticible binding. Should I take these out and have them replaced or can this be acceptable. I went from Eibach .41 to Eibach .43. Thanks in advance.

Wombat

Oct 31, 1999
I don't think its proper for the spring to rub on the guide. Plus, I have heard if you ride hard the plastic guide can expand under heat and even rub more. I have heard people can turn down the guide on a lathe slightly to make just a tad bit of clearance. However, I haven't done this, and am no expert, so I would see if someone more knowledgeable replies.

minutz

Feb 6, 2000
I've actually seen this procedure done, the turning down of the plactic guide that is. And I believe it was for the same reason, Eibach springs.

4banger

Jul 2, 2000
Thanks guys. I will work on them some more, but I am going to ride it this weekend the way it is and see if I have any major binding problems. Then I will tear them apart again.

Bud-Man

Dec 5, 2000
4banger,
I've seen this problem before. Most notably the mid-90's KYB forks. They were easily corrected by turning down the spring guide in a lathe. The problem was usually discovered during a fork service and involved the existing spring. What is unusual in your case is that the existing spring fits with clearance and the new one rubs the guide, correct? I would check the part numbers on the new springs and if possible measure both sets to make sure an error wasn't made some where that might account for the new springs not fitting properly. It's odd that two sets of springs from the same series fit dramatically different.

4banger

Jul 2, 2000
Yea, it is strange. The stockers fit fine, the Eibach .41's fit well too. The Eibach .43's are tight. Maybe the wire is a little bigger diameter and just enough to bind. I will check out the thickness when I break them down.

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
The stock springs will often bind up as well. The early KYB plastic compound seems to exspand with certain oil types... Often those with "seal condtioners". As everyone has mentioned the best thing to do is to just turn the diameter.
Regards,
Jer

Top Bottom