New Fork Springs

h2oskibilly

Feb 17, 2003
I just installed the .38kg springs that I purchased off the FRP websight. In the service manual, it calls for 623ml of 5w oil, if the forks are completely dry and 530ml when just changing the oil. What exactly makes this difference. I actually left the forks upside down for quite a time and worked what seemed like all of the oil out. When I put 600ml in, it filled the forks too full. Is there a way to measure the oil from the top with the forks fully collapsed, and what should that measurement be? I'm just not sure how to get the proper amount in and how to tell.
thanks.
Billy

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
make sure you pump out all of the oil also by pumping the fork up and down. If the springs are stock length, install them, and with your fork collapsed, add oil. then work the forks to work the oil into the valves. Then, once the valves are full, and with the fork completely collapsed, you want to have 100mm, or 4 inches from the top of the oil to the top of the inner fork tube, when its collapsed. Just stick in a tape measurer and let the end touch the top of the oil. Hope this helps.

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
Howdy,

Also check the justkdx website -> Tech Tips -> Specialty Tools -> Fork Oil Gauge. Tools like this make it real easy. I bought something similar from race tech before I saw this and the syringe makes exact levels a snap.

Best,
Greg

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…