LWillmann

Jun 2, 2005
Hello everybody!

My name is Lee. I'm from Sparta, TN.

Found your site while looking for forums where I can learn about the motorcycle I just purchased. MSN Search brought you up!

So I've just bought (well, I'll have it later today) a late 80's (unsure of exact year at the moment) Honda CR250R.

It's in pieces right now, but myself and a couple of my friends who are riders believe that we can put it back together. We looked at it yesterday and all the pieces appear to be present, but we won't know for sure until this evening when we get it back to my house and spread everything out into some semblence of order.

I'm sure I'll be doing LOTs of reading and asking some questions as well.

My first questions: Is there a good place to find parts for motorcycles of this one's age?

Looking at an online Microfiche for a 1990 CR250R, most of the parts shown in the Microfiche appear to be the same as those for the bike I'm getting. So are there year ranges where parts are interchangable?

scooter1130

Paragon Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 31, 2002
Welcome Lee, the official welcome wagon should be along shortly to greet you :) Just wnated to let you know that you should be able to get any parts you need for that bike at Rt15 Honda. And once you have the bike running, keep an eye on the Damn yankees threads in here ...click here... and watch for some local rides in the area. We are going to Paragon in Pa next weekend, but it doesnt sound like you'll have the bike ready in a week for that. You'll also find a few others here near you in NJ.

OK I'm an idiot I read your location wrong somebody kick me

Last edited:

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Welcome to the site Lee :cool:

I see where you have gone to your User CP and updated information relating to your location. Grab a spot on the couch and tell us a bit about yourself. How long you have been riding, what kind of riding you prefer, where you are located, etc. We will do our best to hook you up with some fellow dirt bike enthusiasts.

Check out the Southern Spodes forum for opportunities to hook up with fellow DRNers.

Also, peruse the General Bike Repair forum for good info and great folks always willing to help out, answer questions or just offer support.

Get that nike up and running, it is getting on towards summer.

Again, welcome to the site, and shout if you have any questions!

LWillmann

Jun 2, 2005
Thanks for the welcome.

A little about myself...Hmm...

I live in Sparta, Tennessee, about 100 miles east of Nashville. I have been riding, off-and-on (more off than on) since I was 14, so about 18 years now. I've never been into tricks, or jumping, wheelies or any of that stuff. I suppose I'm more of a street rider, or mild trail rider. Since buying my house a year and half ago, my neighbors have gotten a couple of motorcycles and given me the opportunity to ride again. That, combined with helping turn wrenches on my friend's XR200 has given me the taste for riding again.

My father purchased a 1982 Honda CB750F, and that was our only transportation from then (it was a new bike I think when he bought it) until I was 14, or about 6 years. When I was 14, he bought a Yamaha Enduro 100 from my grandparents and I ride that a few times, until he got mad at me and sold it. From there, I never had another motorcycle. Didn't even get to ride one until a few months ago, when my neighbor brought his KTM 125 down to show it to me. I got to ride it, then he bought a 2003 Yamaha YZ450F, and brought it over. It wasn't long before his brother bought the XR200, and my wife talked about buying that one for me, when I came upon the bike I ended up with.

So, I've been bitten by the bug again, and came across an opportunity to purchase an '88 Honda CR250R (albeit in pieces) for $90 and jumped on it. I know it's going to cost me a bit to rebuild it, but it'll be a fun experience along the way I'm sure.

When I received the bike, the engine was disassembled in three cardboard boxes. It appears that someone else has bored the cylinder and purchased a sleeve for it, but never installed the sleeve. So, I will be picking up where that person left off. At the moment, I'm planning for all new bearings and seals for the engine and transmission, and most likely the entire bike. There's lots of work to be done, but I think that with enough time, I'll get it done and be able to enjoy it.

I really think that this bike will probably be more than I need, I think that a 4 stroke ride would better suit me, but I'm going to give this bike a shot. I figure that worst case, I can sell it after I reassemble it and put that money toward a bike that better suits me.

At this point? I just want one to ride.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Lee: Great intro, thanks.

Regarding the CR, check out the General Bike Repair forum as I mentioned before and the CR / KX / RM / YZ (2-Stroke) Discussion forum for valuable insight into the bike. If you need help with the cylinder (or any other part of the engine for that matter) check out Eric Gorr’s Forward Motion Racing forum. Eric and Rich have forgotten more than most of us will ever learn about bikes and I am sure they can show the way out of the weeds.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention that DirtWeek will be coming to a race track near you this fall and we expect that you will be there. Y'all need to check out the greatest event on earth, DirtWeek! DirtWeek 2005 will soon begin to stir. Held every fall in Stillwater Oklahoma, DirtWeek has become the premier family event for many of the members of the site. Last year we had Kenny Bartram, Guy Cooper, Malcolm Smith and Larry Rosslier stop by for riding and bench racing. Check out the site at http://www.dirtweek.com. Additionally all the forums relating to past DirtWeeks can be found near the bottom of the main forum page, check out DirtWeeks past forum.

Top Bottom