RyansDad

Aug 4, 2007
Hi all!!
(Forgive me now since I'm new.. )

I've signed up here because of my son. I've always wanted to ride. I've been asking for a "Dirtbike" since I was 8. Well, my son is now 8 and HE has had a 50cc for over a year. He wants to race now. I'm thinking of selling my street bike to buy an offroad to ride with him.

I'm here for advice, help, criticism, whatever.
I'm not here for me, but for him. I know I can't "Train" him since I don't have the experience, but I can get him started anyway. I can teach him how a "Bike" works, but I'm limited to "Road" bikes at this time.

As a dad, Where should I go??

Please help..

Thanks

Joe

RyansDad

Aug 4, 2007
I'm so new, I noticed my email was wrong. (Typo). Also added a pic of daughter on my sons 50cc. Anyway.. Thanks for having me.

Joe

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Welcome Joe.

If you haven't found out yet Rhode Island isn't exactly dirtbike friendly. That said, we do have number of decent groups in our state and throughout New England that try to promote riding and racing. Here are a few links to get you started:

NEMA
NETRA
RIOHVA

Welcome to DRN

Keith

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Joe:

Welcome to DRN :)

PK is a good source of information and knows the area well.

I would check out the Pit Bikes & Mini’s forum for bike information.

Also, check out the Damn Yankee Dirt Riders forum for some folks in your area.

Check out the Riding/Training Techniques - Injuries forum for help with all aspects of the sport.

As for a bike for you, check out the What Bike Do I Get... ? forum for great information on what dirtbikes might suit your needs and desires. There is a great group of folks that hang out in there always willing to help a newbie to the sport. Read the Help Us Help You ...Hints to help get advice on bikes thread for information that you should post that will help everyone zero in on recommendations.

Joe, all of us have been newbies in the sport. You are embarking on the most wonderful memory filled experience that I can imagine.

We have all been there and are all willing to answer your questions.

rpm12505

~SPONSOR~
Sep 25, 2005
Ryansdad try http://www.netra.org/ They have a nervous novice race. Though technically not a race they allow you to ride along with your son in a enduro style of riding. It was a great way for my son to get experience riding closely with others while I kept an eye on him. He later moved on to MX, but it helped get the ball rolling. Good luck.

RyansDad

Aug 4, 2007
Thanks Keith, Tony, and rpm.
Lots to look at, but GREAT info.
As for RI not being dirtbike friendly, this is true. My son is lucky enough to have a grandmother with a 130 acre farm in Mendon MA Keith. That's where he's riding now.
Needs to move on though as he wants to race.
I hope after reading all links, and checking out the "Nervous Novice" race, I MAY get a chance to bump into one or more of you over the next few years.

Thanks again VERY much.
I'm sure more questions are to follow LOL

Joe

Top Bottom