Scdirtgirl

May 2, 2013
Hello y'all,

My name is Katie. I own a crf150r and I am slightly if not mostly newbieish to dirt bike riding. I can't go very much but I am looking to change that.

A lot of my anxiety is on turns, got some fears about going around and no one really has taught me a thing so this is sort of a self teaching journey I am on.

That and the fact loading the dang blasted thing in the back of my 2500 or 3500. Haha.

I was gonna link a pic but I guess I can't.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Welcome Katie! I'll be in Summerville this weekend for the SC State USPSA (pistol) championship.

At Dirtweek (more than) a few years ago Wardy gave us some wisdom. I had trouble with the front tire sometimes climbing up and over the top of a berm and sometimes it would climb out the inside. He told us that if the front rode up and out of the berm you weren't leaning far enough. If the front climbed out the inside of a rut/berm, you weren't hard enough on the gas. It is a balance of body position, throttle, clutch, and even sometimes braking while accelerating.

Any specific problems you're having with turns?

Scdirtgirl

May 2, 2013
Too bad I'll be delivering a load to ohio that sounds too fun.

I have trouble with posture I think, and lean too much into tr turn. One of my friends said to stand up, but it feels wierd around the turn. And the tracks I go too are super soft. Any reccomendations?

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Turns are pretty much the only place where it might be desirable to sit. Sitting neat the junction of the tank & seat will help weight the front end so that it can get better traction to turn.

A common mistake that most of us have made when learning is to get ourselves (and therefore our weight) too far back because we have lost traction with the front end and had it slide out. Ironically, getting away from the front end makes it more likely to slide out.

Top Bottom