wornknobby

Feb 5, 2004
i was just thinking of last season, and i remember that our first race was complete mud. now i also remember running my 12/51 gearing. when i was using this, i had extreme problems using second gear, i almost always had to use first, unless i was on a straight, b/c the mud was so thick that the motor would bog from the load. unless of coarse i used alot of clutch, but i was wondering, i a situation like that, is it better to run such a low gear ratio like what i had to have the acceleration, or is it better to actually have the higher gearin for top speed so that once you have the tire spinning you don't have to shift?

that was my problem, i would have to shift so often that my shifting was slowing me down.(unless of corase i go back to using alot of clutch) i know some clutch is required, but this mud was like soup.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
I suppose it's personal preference and style to some extent, but for a very tight local track I went from 12/49 to 12/52 and finally to 11/52. Big difference and really helped exiting tight 180 corners.

Of course, now that I had some motor work done, I think I'll be staying with a 12 in the front.

wornknobby

Feb 5, 2004
where did you find an 11 tooth front sproclet?

i tried every where to find one of those and couldn't

i also heard that honda once tried a 12 as stock and went back to a 13 b/c it put too much stress on the out put shaft, now if that were true, would that mean a 12/49 raio which is like 4.08 would hurt the out put shaft the same as a 13/53 ratio which is like 4.08 or 4.07?

wornknobby

Feb 5, 2004
well its just that i can't find any "ouside" places which stock it.
ive tried

Rocky MTN
Dennis kirk
Ronnies
Thumpertalk store which has white bros, tucker rocky, partsunlimited.

still only lists for 12,13, and 14 tooth

what bike are you running it on?

wornknobby

Feb 5, 2004
but does anyone know if running a 12 tooth sprocket puts alot os stress on the out put shaft?

i just don't under stand how it puts the "stress" on it, its still just spining, and if you were to have the same ratios by having different sprockets ie(12/49&13/53)
i dont know how the shaft would know the difference?

wornknobby

Feb 5, 2004
how about this, would putting a 53 rear tooth sprokect and having the 12 toooth front be of any use?

i hear that you can gear too much.

i though of it like this, you could then run 6th gear almost any where!!! :)

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
A 53 would help you a bit. You'd probably notice the difference.

A 12 will not hurt your bike any - it will just wear faster than a 13.

I was running an 11 on an RM125.

phranticness

Jan 4, 2006
I just went to a 11 on the front of my kx, 52 in the rear. I ride trails mostly and what a difference. It's much easier to keep it on the pipe. I found the sprocket on an unspeakable auction site :-)

Top Bottom