New graphics not sticking well at the edges, ideas?

SoFlo

Jul 31, 2005
I picked up some graphics for my 1996 RM250, so obviously the graphics have been sitting on a shelf somewhere for quite a while before I put them on the bike. Problem is that they won't stay stuck at edges where there is a tight bend in the plastic, it unsticks. I've ridden once already and I guess with the wind and everything and jetting dirt on the underside, I'm gonna have to somehow glue them to the plastic. Any ideas on what kind of adhesive would be good to use, for just a couple of problem areas? The gastank plastic is in good shape and the radiator shrouds are brand new.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Possible to trim the un-stuck edges off?

SoFlo

Jul 31, 2005
That's what I'm going to do for some of the spots, others are kinda big so i'm gonna try some sorta glue, thanks though. Wondering if any glue would be best to use, probably just gonna do super glue or hot glue?

adamant

Mar 20, 2006
I had this problem with set of one industries "total bitch," it was. I would recommend you stick them down as soon as possible. I tried a few glues impact adhesive had no effect, spray glue made the stickers warp & wrinkle, some glues will melt the adhesive off & the print, super glue had little effect, the glue gun did work though, but can cause you to see the the glue underneath sticking up proud. good luck & stay away from glues that are flammable or have solvents in them.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Sometimes I have been able to reactivate the stock glue by using a bit of Lacquer thinner. It cleans the dirt off and helps it restick.

SoFlo

Jul 31, 2005
Thanks everyone. I'll probably try trimming the small areas, and go for the hot glue on the big areas. I think the problem is just that the graphics are so old that the glue isn't what it was when it was new. I tried the blow dryer to help the graphic sit on the plastics curves better, but it made it stay just for a few minutes. I was thinking maybe a little bit of two sided tape maybe.

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
Clear nail polish. Paint it on and press, The edge is glued down and water proof in seconds with a protective cover. This is what is recomemded for the edges of window tint.
JG

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Jason, you are the man. Great idea.

I wonder how long until my wife notices hers missing???

Its not as if I can go to the store and buy it.

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
LOL, I had to knock on my neighbors door and ask her for it last time. I offered to bring it right back be she insisted I keep it :coocoo:

ihone

Jan 10, 2006
I second the clear nail polish idea. It worked really well to seal the edges of all the car graphics we'd apply at my friend's shop. Every door seam, body panel seam, trim line, etc....we'd have to cut the vinyl with a razor blade. So, we'd just take clear nail polish and seal the edges, and believe it or not: I can honestly say I've never seen it fail.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom