Vaulta

Jan 19, 2004
hey guys I just bought a 99 KDx200 and its awsome. I never rode a dirtbike before and very easy to learn on with power. I read something about not using projected tip spark plugs what are those. Iam using a NGK B8ES is this straight. Also, sorry for the stupid questions, Iam waiting for my manual to learn, what is the choke. When I turn the bike on, pushing the lever down and start the bike, should I keep it down after bike is on, or turn the lever back to off while bike is running?thanx for any help
vaulta

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
The manual calls for BR8ES but alot of guys use the B8ES without problems. Dont know about the projected tip plugs.

If the engine is cold then turn on the choke to start the bike, let it run for 30sec or so then shut the choke off. You dont need choke when the engine is warm.

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
In NGK plugs the 'R' is for resistor in the BR8ES plug. It's for static interference on car radios, etc.. A projector tip sticks farther into the combustion chamber and would be designated BP8ES or BPR8ES (if resistor type). I use a BR8EG (finer electrode) in my KDX200H.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
The choke is on when the knob is pulled up and is used when starting a cold bike. The choke is off when the knob is pushed down, normally after warming the bike up from anywhere 30 seconds to a couple of minutes. If the choke is left on too long the bike will begin to load up and could foul the plug, resulting in hard or no starting.

Vaulta

Jan 19, 2004
I thought pushing the knob up was reserve tank, and the knob completly laying horizontal is off and down is on.??

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
I think you might be confusing the fuel petcock with the choke. The fuel petcock works the way you describe and is located on the fuel tank with a hose leading to the carb. The carb has a black knob that can be pulled up or pushed down and that is the choke.

Vaulta

Jan 19, 2004
yea you are right, so you should always start with the choke on for the first kick of the day and then turn it off when the bike is warmed up?

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
The choke puts an extra rich mix into the combustion chamber because the fuel doesn't vaporize very well in a cold engine and to get enough fuel vapor to ignite requires a richer mix. Once warm, the fuel will more readily vaporize and the choke can be turned off. If you are able to easily start a cold engine without the choke, then perhaps the bike's jetting is too rich to begin with.
I it sounds like I am being a little vague, it's because I am trying to get you to think about what is taking place with your bike and not just spoon feed answers.

Vaulta

Jan 19, 2004
thanx boyz, all this is starting to make sense, so my NGK b8es is straight to use, thats not a projector tip right.

Vaulta

Jan 19, 2004
thanx for helping out a new guy everyone, soon I will not be anymore and I will be shredding, the KDX200 is awsome.

Top Bottom