New guy looking into riding off the tarmac a little.

teethandnails

Mar 14, 2007
Hey yall, my name is David. I currently ride and race street motorcycles. I however am looking to get into trail/woods riding. I ride a 147hp street bike...so I am afraid to get something too small...however, I want something that I can learn with and not be stuck depending on power to be a fast rider. I have been looking at several bikes...namely the CRF230F and the CRF150R Expert. I am concerned that the 150r might be a little too race focused. Basically I am out to have a good time.

From what I have read the 230 is a good all around bike making good torque, and requires less attention than the more powerful and focused CRF150R expert. I will probably not be riding at a track, and mostly be going through woods, fields, and maybe some dirt action.

Another need, is possibly having an extra set of 17 inch wheels for some motard action at out local gocart track.

Judging by what I have said...which bike would be a better choice? There isn't much money between bikes.

thanks!

David

some info:

1) your physical size: 5 foot 10 inches, 165-170 lbs
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? Tend to push things
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? Woods/trails....might take my hand at the jumps later on.
4) Do you have any riding experience? Street bikes (racing)
5) Do you think you will race ? no
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? oilchange and chains are my limit.
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? Honda 4 stroke
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? I work at a Honda Yamaha shop.
9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike? 3-4 hours a week
10) Do you live in California? I wish
11) anything else that you think would help form an opinion: I like can't wait to get something lol.

Last edited:

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Welcome to the site, David.

Regarding you question, the answer depends on a great number of factors.

Check out the What Bike Do I Get... ? forum for tons of great info on bikes. Use search and you will get lost in there for days. :) Check the Help Us Help You ...Hints to help get advice on bikes thread for great information that will help everyone zero in on recommendations.

Top Bottom