KSims1868

Apr 5, 2006
Okay - here's the low down. I haven't owned any dirt bikes in over 10 years. The last bike I owned was a 1996 YZ 125 and it ripped (IMO). Before that I had a few CR 125's and a slew of other 2-stroke racers. I'm no stranger to Motocross and riding, but like I said...it's been a LONG time since I owned one.

I have found a VERY clean 1994 Honda CR 250.
NEW V-force 3 reed cage
NEW Bills pipe
NEW MSR Swingarm Chain Rub Plate
NEW Primary Drive 520 H Racing Chain
NEW Primary Drive front and Rear Steel Sprocket
NEW Acerbis Chain Guide
NEW Motion Pro Throttle and Clutch Cable
NEW Tusk T-7 Aluminum Handlebar
NEW Pro Taper Aluminum Throttle Tube
He has never rebuilt the top-end, but said it was done last year by the previous owner (actually a local shop that I know well did it he said). He just rides it around leisurely...doesn't race. It's a bit old to be competitive against today's bikes I'd guess.

I can pick this bike up for $900.

Is this a good deal? It sounds like it is to me...but I've been out for a while. He's owned the bike for a couple years and never raced it. Just rides it around in the local trails. He bought a new KX 250 and doesn't need this anymore...that's why he's selling it.

What do you think? Is it too old to really be competitive? I'm not looking to start "racing", but I don't want to be left in the dust by everyone I know either.

KSims1868

Apr 5, 2006
1994 CR 250 - decent bike?

I'm considering buying a neighbor's 1994 Honda CR 250. It looks to be in pretty good shape. He's kept it updated and rides it regularly. He wants about $900 out of it.

Does this sound like a good deal? Is this model CR a good year model? I've been out of the sport for about 10 years, and I know I used to love the CR and YZ 2-strokes back then.

Help me out with your opinions.

jaction125

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2003
I had a '95 that was bulletproof, but it's just a little too old for me now. $900? Who cares? Ride it til august and get your money back. Don't skimp on gear, broken ankles and things are no fun. :cool:

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
You sound like me... I used to own a 95 cr125 as my last bike nut that was 8 yrs ago. I just bought an 02 yz250 last weekend and havnt really riden a bike since my last one.
The 94 is getting up there now at 12 yrs old but to answer your question, if it seems to be in great condition, I say buy it. Yes that was a good year for the CR. My fav year was 95-96 for honda and really havnt cared for them since because yamaha has been on top of thier game.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
99.9% chance you won't find one any cheaper. . .

You could sell the new stuff off of it and make $200-$300.

Dad's got a 94 CR125. Nice bike considering it's 12 years old. It's got more power than I would have expected.

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
Yeah for $900 that is a pretty darn good deal and the good thing about it is that it is not too heavy of an investment to get back involved with the sport. Like others have said you can get it and ride it for a season and if you feel at that point you would like a newer model you can sell it and update. Since you are only paying $900 to buy it initially, you can potentially sell it at the end of the season and get the majority of your money back if not all of it.

As far as power goes with the older model two stroke bikes, you really are not going to notice a difference with todays models so dont worry about that. The biggest differences are in the realm of ergonomics, suspension, and therefore handling. Heck if you have ever ridden a mid 70's Bultaco or any MX bike for that matter you know the power is not the issue, it is the other things I have mentioned.

ziptiedEXC

Apr 5, 2006
The cr 250's in the mid 90's were very fast, but the suspensions were harsh for the trails. $900 is a good deal as long as the crank bearings are good.

Top Bottom