SilvrSRT10

Aug 11, 2008
Hello everyone, Just rescued a '97 KDX 200 today. I did a little repair work for someone and in return he gave me a bike he had sitting out in the yard that he didn't want anymore. :) I've already got it running but it still needs some TLC. I'm in need of a seat and rear light for it. I'll be putting some paint on it and the new clutch and brake levers are on their way.

I don't know how long it's been since it's run but I was really surprised when it came back to life with so little effort. I'm still going to clean the carb and change the plug and oil. Looking forward to hitting the trails. If anyone knows where I can get the parts mentioned for cheap I'd appreciate it.

One other idea. Will a KX 125/250 seat fit the KDX 200? If so, that might help broaden my search. TIA

Last edited:

ascracer

Oct 21, 2006
There are usually parts on the autions sites E*** anything from 95-06 will work for seat and lights, probably further back for the light. I don't think a KX seat will work with out some changes. I know the side pannels for the KDX are the same for a 95 KX so maybe the seat would be the same you can look at online parts finders and cross reference part #'s.

SilvrSRT10

Aug 11, 2008
Thanks for the info. Yeah, I'm keeping my eye's open on the auction sites. I already check part numbers on the KX seats and they are different but you never know. Sometimes they work on other models.

SilvrSRT10

Aug 11, 2008
Over the last month I've:
Rebuilt the top end (KIPS too)
Replaced the rear wheel bearings
New graphics and stickers
New X-ring chain
Dyno Port Silencer
Air filter & Re-jetted carb (starts first kick)
New rear fender
New fork boots
Painted frame
Re-covered seat
The bike is looking really good. Just need to get out and ride it.

Attachments

• P1000105  (450 x 338)2.jpg
    P1000105 (450 x 338)2.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 431
  • P1000166  (450 x 338)2.jpg
    P1000166 (450 x 338)2.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 501
Last edited:

multiman

Aug 16, 2008
How'd you go about painting the frame? did you have to take the motor out or could you be creative with paper and wrap the motor? If you did was it a pain?

I've rescued a 93 and is pretty cosmetically crappy also, but runs good, so far. Planning on doing the top end this winter but wasn't planning on taking the motor out.

Bike looks great..

david

SilvrSRT10

Aug 11, 2008
multiman said:
How'd you go about painting the frame? did you have to take the motor out or could you be creative with paper and wrap the motor? If you did was it a pain?
Your going to think this is really crazy but I went to Lowes and had a quart of paint mixed up to color match the frame. I made a couple attempts at buying the PJ1 frame paint but nobody has it. So I used a sponge brush and applied a good primer followed by the glossy Mantis Green paint. I turned out looking pretty good. I just don't know how it's going to hold up. Time will tell.

Top Bottom