cruzin925

Feb 8, 2003
I got to use my new shoei helmet today, when we stopped for a while and i put my helmet on the end of my bars... and then my bike fell over straight onto my helmet. It was in the dunes so it didnt get scratched up, there is just a whole in the structure of the helmet almost to the shell same diameter as the end of my bars. Will this have any effect on the helmet?

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
The inner foam liners are the major component in protecting your head from Brain injuries and the fact that the foam is damaged to me indicates that the foam is compromised. The outer shell often shows no damage so that is not a good indicator of the helmets worth after an impact.
My son often goes thru 2 or 3 helmets in a season which if we wanted we could sell but if I won't have it on his head I don't want it on someone elses. I have sold his used helmets in the past but these were ones which never met the ground or other object.
I believe Shoei may have a service available that will evaluate the effectiveness of the helmet for future use.

adstott

May 23, 2002
Shoei makes all of there helmets servicible. Unlike cheaper helmets their helmets are made to last several seasons if the proper maintenece is performed. If you talk to shoei they will tell you where to send it and they will evalute the helmet and replace the needed components.

It will most definitely have an effect on the safety of the helmet. Helmets are designed to spread the impact throughout the whole helmet. A little ding here and there by itself is not bad, but because the helmet does spread the impact throughout the whole helmet over time those few dings add up. That is why you will hear many people say to only use a helmet for a couple of seasons even if you never crash with it because those dings are compounded.

KXTodd

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2000
That may be right, I have no idea but it surely isn't designed to take a hit from inside. My daughter dumped my bike and did the same thing to one of my helmets, I'll never use it again. But since it landed in the sand , hmm I still don't think I'd chance it.

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
I agree with the others. Send it back to Shoie for evaluation and replacement parts if necessary. I know its bummer that is new, but you only get one brain so I would not skimp.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
I would see about re-placing the foam.. Awhile back, i was gonna buy a Stewart replica helmet at a sale from FOX, didn't have my size, but the guy said i could order the foam lining(the shell is the same size, just different sized foam) See if you can get new foam perhaps..
Rick

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
whenever i take a big hit in one of my helmets i take it to the EMT's on duty at the races to have them evaluate if i should get a new one just to be safe. i would send it off to shoei and have them take a look.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Originally posted by mxer842
whenever i take a big hit in one of my helmets i take it to the EMT's on duty at the races to have them evaluate if i should get a new one just to be safe. i would send it off to shoei and have them take a look.
Glad that you are concerned but my question is- Where do they get the knowledge to make the determination? :think: As an EMT I never got that training and I am sure the EMTs at our races would never take on the liabilty of hazarding that opinion

Moto Squid

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
Send it back to Shoei. I did that with mine after I got knocked out and they said the helmet was still safe to wear. I was very happy that it only took 8-9 days or so for it to be back in my hands after I sent it.

http://www.shoei-helmets.com/

Shoei Saftey Helmet Corp.
Attn: Inspection Department
3002 Dow, Suite 128
Tustin, CA 92780

Yogurt

~SPONSOR~
Dec 25, 1999
Originally posted by oldguy

Glad that you are concerned but my question is- Where do they get the knowledge to make the determination? :think: As an EMT I never got that training and I am sure the EMTs at our races would never take on the liabilty of hazarding that opinion

I agree with oldguy. I am a certified EMT, and no one in my classes ever had any training on how to tell if a helmet of anykind was suitable for use again. They only reason we'd look at a helmet is to determin the servirty of the injury to your head. You don't wanna end up in that position. Do what Motosquid said, send it into Shoei and get the foam liner replaced, cheaper than a new helmet.

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
it has been the same couple of EMT's at my races for years, so they have seen more head injuries than most ppl and since i cant send my helmet to shoei they are the next best thing.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
I would be interested to know what criteria they are using to make the determination. My guess is they are lookng at the shell for cracks and the foam for obvious damage but I truly think they are acting way beyond their training and expertise (leaving themselves an easy target for potential lawsuits).
I did ask the head of the moto-medics (they do most of the MXs in district 16 for the past 6 or so years) today and his responce was "are those guys nuts?"
Familiarity with racing and head injuries does not make an expert on helmets (in my opinion)

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
along the lines of Oldguy and Yogurt, my wife is an EMT and an athletic trainer, and she may know when a football helmet is done, but I know more about her as to when a motorcycle helmet is done. No knock against any EMT's or anything, just experience.

Top Bottom