New Holeshot Technique, watt do you think?

FMX_novice

Jan 5, 2001
I just thought of a better way to get a holeshot/start on a stepup comp.
Hold the front brake, WOT, pop clutch right before you think the gate will drop, pop the brake when the gate drops. This would probobly work better as a start towards a stepup because you can do it at your own timing and not have to worry when the gate will drop.

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
LOL.. Now that would look funny. Engine screaming, tire spinning, nobody moving.. You'll definitely get a lot of funny (WTF?) looks.

J_dem_Bones

Jun 23, 2001
Actually pros do use that method, but they aren't screeming there rear wheels.
I've seen it where they apply the front brake and have it where the clutch is just engaged(but not completely). So there is some force, but the brake is holding it. This is an advanced technique and requires alot of practice too.
I've tried it with not so good results. I seem to get better starts with the old method.;)

blackhawk468

President of Bling
N. Texas SP
Nov 3, 2000
Ya Ya... This is how I was taught to do starts, and the only way I know. You hold the throttle at half throttle, then you put the clutch to where it is almost engaged, but not quite. Then you barly hold the front brake to keep the bike from moving forward. Then soon as the gate drops release the front brake and as you are letting out the clutch gradually increase throttle (quickly) until you reach full throttle then upshift. Works for me, pulled 2nd in the holeshot twice in a row and I was on the outside line.

J_dem_Bones

Jun 23, 2001
Ya Ya.. I didn't say it doesn't work! Each there own.
I feel more comfortable without the brake. Which I got the holeshot both moto's myself, but faded back to 3rd(ya I'm not in the best shape right now, but I'm working on it).

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
Sorta of what J-bones said is what I always used when I used to drag race street 750s. Using weight forward and clutch to keep the front end down.

What I recently read, and when watching some pros on TV seemed to confirm, is to keep both feet in front of the pegs until you are almost to the first turn. In theory if you have one foot on the pegs you set up a little side force and lose traction eaiser and if you move your down foot up to the peg the movement pushes the rear end a little to the side again decreasing traction. Don't know if this theory is sound, but I noticed several pros starting this way the last race I watched.

FMX_novice

Jan 5, 2001
How i thought i would get responses like,
"What, ok thats the dumbest thing ive ever heard!"
"FMX_Novice you are the dumbest living being on earth"
Wow that went over good, and im gonna practice the front brake technique, without the tires spinning tho.
I seriously didnt know that Shane Watts supposedly used that technique in the Glen Helen National, and i spelt the title of this thread
New Holeshot Technique, Watt do you think?

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Many years ago I used to dump the clutch and come out of the gate spinning. I found that it was too unpredictable. Sometimes it would spin too much and others it would hook up and loop out.

I use a method very similar to what blackhawk468 described, and I get better starts than finishes. :confused:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
If I finish on two wheels, I'm a happy bird!:)

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Originally posted by taraker
Gomer, how do "you" finish a race? Just curious:confused:
Ouch! (I guess I deserved that one :))

I finished my last race (3 weeks ago) by stopping by the ambulance crew to have them tape the pieces of my finger together so I could go to the hospital. :(

I've been off the bike for 3 weeks and I'm looking for something / someone to kill. The next 3-5 weeks look grim. :think

Chevalier

Sep 3, 2001
Umm,I saw this preformed on a yz125,the guy lost it and landed on the ground with the guy beside him,but the other 2 races which he didn't have a skidding start he won them both:silly:

Top Bottom