palledoro

Dec 31, 2002
Hi Everyone,

What kind of performance gain can i expect with an FMF woods pipe, turbine coreII silencer and dumping the snorkel, over the stock set up? I won't change the reeds until it's time for a top end.

An as far as the suspension goes, I weigh 225 lbs. I am planning on a set of Racetech springs and heavier rear spring. Do I need to do anything else ? like re-vavle?

thanks,
Palledoro

john_bilbrey

Mar 22, 2003
You should see a pretty nice increase with the pipe. The silencer won't make much difference, except for the weight. Just make sure you rejet once you get everything in place. That will make a big difference in itself.

palledoro

Dec 31, 2002
KDX 220R ? on performance

Hi Everyone,

Honest opinions, riders being equal, will a piped, jetted and properly suspended 220R be able to keep up with a YZF250 in harescramble conditions.

Just want to know what I will be getting into.

Thanks,
Palledoro

marksharp

~SPONSOR~
Sep 29, 2002
I'm about your weight and I had Gold Valves installed as well as the heavier springs. I think the re-valve is very important, it made quite a difference in woods riding. The deflection off rocks, ruts, whatever ... pretty much went away. Power increases are nice, but the suspension lets you use that power. I'd look into revalving as well.

craig_enid

Mar 23, 2000
I find the 'easier' power delivery allows me to ride better, longer. (Enduros)
I'm slower than most people you know, though. :)
Although -MOST- experienced riders will probably be faster on a YZF, IMO.

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
I'm with Mark. I did my suspension set up first so that all the power increases are usable and not scary :-). The gold valves and springs make a world of difference in how the bike handles and that made more of an impression on me than even pulling the airbox lid and rejetting. I'm right at the same weight as you and doing the forks got rid of the pogoing/wallowing effects. The shock spring didn't make as much a difference but then it isn't as far out of whack. I would do it though.

Best,
Greg

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
I was unhappy about the power in my '03 220, and slapped a pipe on, and it did help a little, but I think There was more power to be made by jetting the bike correctly than slapping a pipe on.

fuzzy

~SPONSOR~
Jul 26, 2002
I agree. Save the power mods for second. Respring it for your weight, and bite the bullet and at least revalve your forks. They need it if your going to ride higher than second gear. This is where the KDX will fall off when compared to the much bettter (stock) suspention of the YZF. When get to the point where you have the thing pinned through the woods then go for some power mods...

nectar

Sep 11, 2002
Regarding the pipe, I had the woods pipe on my 220, but this past year I got the desert pipe to improve the top end and it helped. Anyways, if you are planning on racing, then get the desert pipe as I noticed that the bike would rev alot quicker and longer. Whereas the woods pipe had better low end pull but went really flat on top. Go with the desert/rev pipe.

K Dixon

Oct 25, 2002
Just before winter I had a drag race with a '03 yz250f absolutely dead even until speed got to high for the conditions to continue. As for handeling I would have to give the edge to the YZ, simply more percise and better suspended
BTW my bike is a '00 220 FMF Rev, pipe dual stage reeds, 13/ 49 gearing

Originally posted by palledoro
Hi Everyone,

Honest opinions, riders being equal, will a piped, jetted and properly suspended 220R be able to keep up with a YZF250 in harescramble conditions.

Just want to know what I will be getting into.

Thanks,
Palledoro

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom