TaxPhd

Dec 29, 2003
After a fair amount of lurking and researching, I finally bought a bike - a 2004 KDX200.

I have a couple of questions.

Where can I find a service manual? Several searches show Clymer manuals up to 1988, but that's it.

I am getting some black oil (oil/fuel?) out of the exhaust. Not much, but it will leave a few drops on the ground, and a little around the exhaust. Is this normal?

Thanks!

Scott

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I'd get the Kawasaki service manual. You can get it from your dealer or any online parts supplier.

The black oil is what we call "Spooge" or "Splooge", depending who you talk to. It is a result of an bike that is jetted to rich, i.e it is getting more fuel through the carburetor than it can burn in the combustion cycle.

While it is normal for a new KDX to have a spooge problem, it is not something that you want your bike to do. Overtime, it can lead to some expensive problems.

To fix the problem you will have to rejet the carburetor on the bike. If you are new to dirt bikes, this can seem a little intimidating. Some dealers don’t like to do this work so it is something that you should learn to do. It’s worth the effort to learn because it is something that you will want to have done to the bike as you gain experience and/or modify the bike.

You’ll find a lot of useful information in the FAQ that is at the top of this forum. Welcome to the wonderful world of KDX’s (and DRN too!).

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Scott, in addition to the shop manual, grab yourself a copy of Eric Gorr's book. See the link on the left hand side of the screen - while you're at his website, have a look around - there are excerpts from the book there. It's not as dull as the manual to read & has lots of tips & stuff in it.

Also, check out the kdx website for what to do to your new bike. http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/
Again, if you haven't been there, take a look around. Lots of tech tips for the KDX there.
Welcome to the board & the world of off-road riding (watch out, it's addictive, both of them ;))

prk03

~SPONSOR~
Jun 24, 2002
Regular bike maintance will keep your bike running worry free. One thing to expect is the stock chain will stretch alot. Keep a eye on this. After a while you can install new sprockets and o or x ring chain. I did this after 1 year with great results. I change the oil after 50 or 75 miles of trail riding. I use castrol 10-w-40. It's 1.65-1.75 per qt. Clean air filter after each ride and re-oil with air filter oil. BelRay or PJ1 are both good. To keep plugs from fouling you will have to re-jet and the spooge will decrease. I fouled about 10 before I re-jetted. Now no problem. I ride enduros with my KDX200 01 and its never failed to get me back to finish line.

TaxPhd

Dec 29, 2003
Thanks for all the help.

I have been trying to find the factory service manual, but nobody has it. I have been told that the 2004 manual isn't even printed yet. Will a 2003 manual be suficient?

Scott

palmer69

~SPONSOR~
Jan 1, 2003
Good choice on your bike, you're gonna love it. I can't think of another bike that can grow so easily in performance as your skills improve.

You can get the manual from: www.buykawasaki.com
The site also has exploded parts diagrams with part numbers for all parts.
Another good parts source is www.ronayers.com

Have fun! Don't sweat the spooge too much, if you're not fouling plugs, you're not overly rich. With time, you'll learn how to tweak your jetting and minimize spooge while increasing performance. It takes time and riding experience to figure it all out. Do it methodically. Don't dive in and change a bunch of things at once.
Oh yeah, when it doubt......PIN IT.

Top Bottom