Barbarian

Nov 22, 2001
I've had two late model KTM's and, while I loved the reliability and quality, I never liked riding them because they always seemed to stink-bug. I always ended up running like 130mm of sag to level out the bike and this caused other problems.
I've heard that the 04 models feel different, can anybody confirm this? What are some of your opinions?

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
The Katoom is definetly a stand-up riding bike. The riding position is extremely forward which is great for tight woods work. The feel that I've always gotten when riding them is a steep rake that allows quick flat direction changes between trees, but can feel odd at first when sitting down.

Now when I get back on some other bikes, they almost feel throwback-low in the rear with swept back bars and rearward seating position.

Suspension set-up, particularly race sag, critical for these bikes to work well (as most bikes), it just seems the KTM is a little more sensitive.

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
some people also cut 5mm out of the subframe to lower the rear of the bike, if it bothers them. you might do a search here or on ktmtalk, there have been lots of discussions about it.

Barbarian

Nov 22, 2001
Thanks for the tips guys. I'll check out ktmtalk sometime. We have a good ktm dealer in town here and I'd like to do buisiness with them. Just haven't ever been happy with the feel of the bikes. Great quality and motors though.

PTCruiser

Aug 25, 2000
I just picked up my '94 250RFS and it's the most "balanced" KTM I've ever ridden (I've owned this brand for the last several years so I guess I'm used to their handling characteristics).
On my two previous bikes I had the sub-frame lowered, mainly for height reasons, and I liked the way the bike felt after that.

Top Bottom