Westex

Dec 21, 2000
I've ridden a modified KDX for 2 years now but got a great deal on a 98 250 EXC last weekend. Next month I plan on stripping it down, cleaning it, greasing it and replacing the clutch, piston and chain. I would also like to replace the front fender for a new style fender. Will a new fender from a 99 or 00 bolt right on to my 98? Also which bolt on modifications will make the EXC even better? I've heard that a Delta V-Force reed cage (or something like that) is great; has any one tried this. Also are there any things I should look for when I'm fixing this bike such as dirty power valves, or unexpected left handed threads? The KDXer's were great at answering these types of questions and I would truley appreciate any feedback from you experienced KTMer's.
The KTM is a superb bike by the way. The motor is really wonderful and the suspension is light years ahead of the KDX.
p.s. Which type of tires work best for all around ridingon this bike? I ride everything from sand to rocks and my current favorite is 756's front and rear on the KDX. One more question....What type and weight of transmission oil is recommended?
Thanks in advance,
Keith

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Originally posted by Westex
Will a new fender from a 99 or 00 bolt right on to my 98? Also which bolt on modifications will make the EXC even better? I've heard that a Delta V-Force reed cage (or something like that) is great; has any one tried this. Also are there any things I should look for when I'm fixing this bike such as dirty power valvesp.s. Which type of tires work best for all around ridingon this bike? I ride everything from sand to rocks and my current favorite is 756's front and rear on the KDX. One more question....What type and weight of transmission oil is recommended?

Keith
The 99-02 fenders fit your bike. The Delta II V-force is the best money you can spend for performance on these bikes. CLEAN the powervalve when you put in the new top end. If you like 756's use them, although in rocks you may want something a little sturdier. I use Mobil 1 15W-50 in my '99 300 (3300miles original clutch). Great Choice, Have Fun!

p.s. Change the fork oil, locktite the sprocket bolts, kickstand bolt, and kickstarter bolt (allens).

KDX220rm

Uhhh...
Jun 3, 2002
Check to make sure the mudflag isn't cutting a groove in the Heim bearing housing. If it is, take a grinder and grind flush the rib on the mudflag, or glue a piece of rubber to the housing or use duct tape. The mudflap will hacksaw a groove completely through the housing if you watch it.

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
I agree with Strick all the way down the list. Make sure it's the mobil 1 oil with the red cap. The other grades of mobil 1 car oil should not be used in a dirtbike as they have something called friction modifiers which could make your clutch slip.

My 99 250E liked the Delta V-force reeds. I had to go a bit leaner on the main with it. Clean and check the lower shock heim joint. Don't use grease in there. It's suppose to run dry. Use a little grease on the seals and bushings, though.

Did you get the owners manuals with it?

Westex

Dec 21, 2000
Thats exactly the type enformation I was looking for. Thanks a lot. I'm really excited about this project. Any other ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I wish I hadn't ridden the KTM yet because I still have to race the KDX next Sunday in the last enduro.
Thanks,
Keith

TEXAS KTM

Sep 26, 2000
I'm glad you crossed over to the RIGHT side!! I need someone to help take the heat off me with the Yamaha guys! (David, Mark, and Bryan). I have been running 756's and using the mobile 1 in the tranny. I got the info from the guys who have already posted here, and I do believe they know what they are talking about. It worked for me at least. I do like the 739's or bridgestone 78's at cloudcroft though. BTW: Did you really get the new bike because it was a good deal, or was Andrew wearing you out?;) See you at Matador.
Mike.

Westex

Dec 21, 2000
You're funny Mike,
Alright ... you got me. You're right Andrew's been bumpin my rear tire more and more lately and the KTM is just a last ditch effort for me to try and stay ahead. I guess I'll have to change my online name to try to get a little respect. Since you've got KTM experience I'll get you to come over when I pop a new piston in. I only gave $1800 for the bike. I need to put new rubber on it and a new rear fender and some misc. items. It runs awsome right now and the suspension is great.
I feel more confident on it every time I ride it.
p.s.
Don't take any lip from a Yamaha driver...Tell David I said he rides pretty fast unless he has to turn to the right!

We're on row 6...do you know anyone who needs a green bike?

BY THE WAY ... IS THERE A SUBSTITUTE FOR THOSE $10 SPARK PLUGS?
Keith

TEXAS KTM

Sep 26, 2000
Funny how those 426's die when you pull the compresion release lever in. I can't tell you the anwser to the $10.00 spark plup question. I continue to use the br8ecm, but a lot of guys on this board and on the holeshot board claim you can use others( even the br8es or b8es). I feel like a $10.00 spark plug is a good investment for a several thousand dollar scoot. Thats just my opinion and I am sure most people will think I am throwing away money.(David included). Now that I have my jetting straight, I only drop a plug in every 4 months or so. I put a new piston in the 92 300 exc I had before this one, and it wasn't near as big a deal as I thought it was going to be. Anyway, I will be happy to help anyway I can(doubt it will be much), just email me. BTW, Jim Rohm at Golden can anwser most questions and he rides a 250 exc also. See ya this weekend.

B

biglou

Re: Cheaper Plug.

Strick, is that the fine-wire plug? It's either that or BR8ES, I forget which is which. Regardless, the NGK stock number for that plug is 3130. They're about $3.30 ea. from Autozone, give or take a few pennies.

fuzz

Nov 27, 2000
br8ecm..its just a compact design...hence, the "c"
stick a br8es plug in and it will run the same and save you enough
money to buy the cute little plug skirt from an early model
ktm 125...to keep the dirt from falling in the plug hole.

Top Bottom