Trace1

Jul 30, 2000
Hi,

I'm currently thinking of trading in my modified DRZ400e on a ktm 400exc or 520exc. Main reasons for the decision, is the weight and suspension of the DRZ, I want somthing lighter and with better suspension. One concern of the KTM is their spare products prices. How do they compare with their Jap counterparts. I live in Aust and I assume the relative comparison are simular.

The other is which bike is the better suited to me. I ride 5% street, 65% trial-enduro, and 30%MX. I'm B grade rider and weigh 85Kg (185pounds).

How is the power compared between the two and with the DRZ with Yosi exhaust. I would not like to go back in power.

Trace

CRGuy

Posts Too Much
Nov 14, 2000
The 520 is worth the extra molah. A 400DRZ and 400e/xc are not close at all. The DRZ makes 31.1 hp E/XC has about 42 or so. Not sure about the exact number. The E/xc Is a wieghted SX400. The 400 races 250's so go figure.

colorado-high

Jul 4, 2000
You might want to look into a M/XC. I see that you do some MX. The E/XC will do some MX but not very well ,the suspension is a little too soft for taking big jumps.

longtime

Oct 7, 1999
Hey CR Guy -- you sure about those KTM/DRZ figures? It sure seems at odds with all I've read, and heard, about those bikes. The DRZ is heavier, and sprung softer, but its motor is supposed to be "awesome. And if there was a word better than awesome, we'd use that."

Tennessee Thumper

Sponsoring Member
Jan 23, 2000
Trace1,I'd get the 520exc but don't get me wrong the exc 400 is a fantastic bike.Honestly,I liked the 400 exc I rode better than my drz.You really need to see if you can get a ride (if possible)on the 520/400 and then make your choice.

Last edited:

Trace1

Jul 30, 2000
I have to aggree that the Hp figures stated for the DRZe are incorret. The figures may be closer to the DRZs which is a different animal. The DRZ that I have with the Yoshi full system realy rocks and a big difference over stock. I think they have been quoted in some mags that Hp is form 40-42.

If the KTM 400 comes very close the power and the delivery accross the range of DRZ with this setup I would be very happy and opt for the 400. However the appeal of the big 520 is tempting. Fuel range is concerning though and the only thing that makes me want to buy the 400.

If anyone can give figures on fuel consumption and or range of standard tank it would be greatly recived.

Trace

Arby

Mar 19, 2001
I owned a '01 DRZ400e before I bought my 400EXC. The DRZ's motor is
considerably stronger than the KTM. The KTM is lighter,,and requires less
work to make it competitive. It does cost about $2,000 more than the DRZ.
I have friends who ride/race the DRZ and they are very competitive. Most
have added a Yosh pipe, changed the jetting, replaced bars and maybe re-gear. Both bikes are great for woods riding. The KTM rates a little higher
in my opinion.

GaryKTM200

Dec 5, 2000
A friend of mine has a 01 520 MXC. The tank is the kind that uses the shrouds as part of the tank. I don't know the capacity. We went riding and it looks like 70 miles on a tank could be in order. I hope my info is correct. Bare in mind that with that type of tank it holds more fuel. Maybe like 3.7 gallons? What do you know on this subject Strick? All I know is that it will go a long way on a tank of fuel. And if I am correct the 400 doesn't have the tank that I am talking about. Or maybe it does. They tell me that the MXC's come with the large tank because of the lack of refueling in races. With enduro's the gas stops are within easy range for most bikes. So a large tank is not really needed. But hare scrambles or cross country is why the MXC has the larger tank. I sure hope I am right on this because I hate to give out false information. This info. is worth checking out before making a purchase I think.

Gary

Rodzilla

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 1999
From my research the DRZ is closer to 39 h.p. An XR400 is around 31 h.p.

If fuel range is an issue, If I'm not mistaken (I'm not a KTM guy) does not the M/XC version come with the bigger tank ? (bigger than the E/XC or obviously the SX versions)

Sounds like the best of all worlds, big tank, MX suspension and monster power!

IDkTm

Jul 12, 2000
The KTM MXC has a jumbo tank while the EXC does not. I believe that the suspension is the same for both bikes. The EXC also comes with lights, the MXC doesn't.

Trace1

Jul 30, 2000
Wouldn't it be great to have a bike for every occasion, thats why it is important to get the bike that will be the best comprimise accross all the types of riding that you do. I wish I just did MX it would be simpler.

Thanks for the info guys, it is very useful and I'm thinking that the 520exc will be the go. I have a dealer that has both and will try them both out.

Trace

Trace1

Jul 30, 2000
I have to wonder about those magazines sometimes.

Thanks for you input CRGuy, all information is welcome and open for disscussion.

Trace

t-dog

Nov 27, 2000
I'm in a very similar situation like you Trace1. Thinking of
trading my kickstarter DRZ for a 400exc or 520exc.

I'd be really interested to hear your opinion on them
after you have tried them out.

Nicklas

Top Bottom