new KX 250 is nuts for my riding type

dice_jay

Apr 29, 2009
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum but not to riding. I have been riding since I was about 12. first bike was a honda 50, second a YZ 80, third a KX 250, fourth a cr 125 and I just bought another KX 250 (98). I'm not going to pretend I know a lot about bikes because i don't. I do regular maintenance (oil changes and stuff), but I don't really know much about changing performance. I just bought the 98 KX 250 and it isn't like my old KX 250 or my buddies 2005 KX 250. This thing is a beast compared to them, and I'm trying to figure out why. I love the power, but it seems to be in the wrong place for my type of riding. I searched this forum and have read some very good articles. I am going to look into weighting the flywheel and dropping a tooth from the front sprocket. Aside from spending 2 million dollars to make it handle like a four stroke (I hate 4 strokes) any other advice other than not to run into stuff?

Thanks

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
flywheel weight and drop a tooth up front is a good start. A heavy flywheel weight will tame the hit quite a bit.

If it's lacking pull on the bottom end and has a gnarly hit up top, a low end pipe would change that a bit.

Probably the single BEST thing you could do is send the cylinder in for porting work. That is always a good option, but not always price friendly. I'd start with the weighted flywheel and see what that does for you. It may be enough.

J.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I'm not familiar with the KX but most modern 2 strokes have tuneable power valve systems, if yours does it's a good way to fine tune. Where does it seem really strong, in the middle or way up top? If it comes on really quick and snappy in the mid range you can try to raise the needle in the carb a notch or two. Going to a smaller front sprocket will make it even more snappy.

TRexRacing

Jul 23, 2002
Yes getting the jetting sorted is a good start.I've got my YZ465 so that it pulls clean and smooth from idle on up.Took a lot of work but paid off.Kawasaki has always been the power company you may be forced into a little portwork to really tame it.

dice_jay

Apr 29, 2009
Thanks for the tips. I was thinking that maybe I'll suck it up and get some more time on this bike before deciding to doing anything. Could be I just need to get used to it, and learn to use it to my advantage. The guys I ride with race cars, so even trail riding tends to get a bit competitive........and I don't like to lose.... Took it out for a little ride before work today and found that the kick start isn't engaging very good and is slipping. Looks like the shaft going into the housing has some play in it. Guess I'll pull that apart this weekend and see what is going on in there. I haven't got a manual for this bike yet so hopefully it will be somewhat similar to my cr125 manual.

Top Bottom