mmmbeergood

Jan 22, 2003
I've owned a KDX 200 for a while, and love it! But I came across a screamin deal on a 2000 KX 500 that I couldn't pass up. The bike looks completely stock, and is in near showroom condition. The Only thing I know of it's history is that a girl bought it for her boyfriend, but he still broke up with her (I'm afraid to ask) and it's been sitting a while. all seals seem good, carb boot has some cracking, runs strong with fresh gas and oil. The powerband is similar to my KDX, only more, A LOT MORE!!! My Buddy's YZ 250 actually hits harder, and takes more effort to control. I was suprised at how easy the 500 rode. It does take mre ass to kick though. I have no manual so I need all advice, opinions, and tips you are willing to share. My kdx ran fine with 10w40. What is recommended in a 500? Sea level ,80 degree temps jetting/air screw setting? I run golden Spectro 40-1, should I change?
And what's with that baffle just inside the oil fill, makes changing the oil a slow process.
Thanks in advance!!!

Gordo

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Here's a "tip". Don't "tip" any MMMMM... good beer before you ride that monster!

Ride it as is for a while and see what YOU want changed. As long as you aren't racing, there really isn't much needed. Some folks to like to reroute the clutch cable for smoother easier operation. You might want to check the neck and swingarm for proper lubrication.

I'm at about 1000' and had to jet down to a 52 pilot to get a decent idle. A nice addition is a bolt on kickstand from Rocky Mountain ATV. I also lowered the seat height, but then I have a 30" inseam and am affraid of heights. ;)

Welcome to the KX5 clan!

magneto

Nov 14, 2001
Best tip that I can give you: Buy (and read) a shop manual for your bike! You also need to buy and read a copy of Eric Gorr's book.

Kawadougie

~SPONSOR~
May 7, 2002
I have a 2003 KX 500 and am now running a 155 main with a 52 pilot, needle clip at the top and air screw two turns out. Buy a manual for the bike, it will be a big help. Drop the countershaft sprocket to a 13 tooth. Any good motor oil is fine in the tranny and I run 40:1 with premium in the gas tank. I can run and hide from any 250. It will pull a wheelie at 70mph. :yeehaw: :yeehaw:

mmmbeergood

Jan 22, 2003
This is just the kind of info I'm looking for.
The next item on my list is a manual. Now lets make like a cowpie and hit the trail!!!

Gordo

kawdude

~SPONSOR~
May 20, 2003
Welcome to the world of the KX5. I purchased one this year and its great. My suggestion is to check the the swingarm and linkage bearings. The cages on mine were gone.

mmmbeergood

Jan 22, 2003
I bought service manual from a local dealer, but it's out of date, the model shown has an 18" rear wheel and does not have upsidedown forks, it's good through '94. I also managed an owners manual for a newer model on e-bay. These do help. I greased the swingarm bearings, as there was narry-a-trace in there, the stearing stewm is next. My last ride left me pretty pooped, and I'm fairly in shape. I guess I'd better runa little farther, and hit the weights a little longer, eh?

Happy trails...

Gordo.

P.s. Anybody have any up-to-date HP #'s, the old manual says 55, but it's gotta be more.

Ramski

Feb 6, 2001
Learn to ride the 500 a gear higher than your used to. You'll find riding it in a higher gear much easier and it'll have more torque with less wheel spin. I can't give you too much help for setup in woods since I ride mine solely in the desert, but a 18" rear wheel will give you less flats. Steering damper, Pro-Tapers and a IMS tank will help along with the usual skid plate and brush guards. Have fun!

Top Bottom