JLeather

Jun 18, 2007
Hey guys,
Newbie here, or atleast new to this forum. Been riding something since I was about 11. Just got out of University of Maryland for Mechanical Engineering. Starting work in July, but for now just wrenching on projects. Got a Corvette in critical condition in the garage, finishing up a Honda CB750 chopper, and just got back into dirt riding. Picked up a 1990 DR250 today. Not the biggest and best bike, but it'll do for a start and it was soooo cheap. First bike was a 1974 CL200 scrambler (only year they were produced apparently). After that was a CB350 that I bashed up on the trails, and then I bought a 1983 YZ490 (big mistake). Hurt myself a few times on that 2-stroke monster, turned 16, and got a street bike license. Owned a few street bikes, sold the YZ, and haven't really played in the dirt for 4 or 5 years now. Found the DR250 a few miles from my house. Guy said it just started belching oil one day so he quit riding it. I got there and checked it over with a friend of mine. We pulled the plug and cranked it over, and it gushed oil out the breather. Bought it anyway, cause I figured I could fix it ($700 with a clean title and only 4900 miles). Took it home and drained 7 quarts of oil from the 1.8 qt oil pan :whoa: . Seems the guy didn't know that cause it's a dry sump system you gotta check the oil when it's running. He'd been putting oil in thinking it was low, when it was just in the crankcase instead of the sump. Cleaned it out, changed plugs, and she runs like a champ. Carb's a bit dirty, but daylight is short so I'm hitting that later. Guess that's enough intro. If anyone knows a decent place to trail ride and have fun in MD, lemme know.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Weocome to DRN.

Check out the Damn Yankee Dirt Riders forum for some folks in your area. You live in, or near, New England and you have not ridden with these folks? Well then, pop in and say hello. They don’t bite and they are usually planning a ride somewhere, usually in PA.

Top Bottom