New member in Ormond Beach, FL with a question

bocephous

Mar 15, 2005
New member with a question

Hello y'all. This is my first post on this forum, so an introduction is in order. I'm 35 and have been riding since I was 12 years old. Last time I owned a dirt bike was fourteen years ago, and I haven't kept up to date on them since then. I have been riding street bikes for several years, and currently own an '03 Yamaha R1. As of late I have been getting a very strong urge to get back into the dirt and had narrowed down my selection to a later model YZ250. I was telling my supervisor at work about my plans and he mentioned that his son-in-law has a 1990 KX500 that he is thinking about selling. I haven't seen it yet, let alone ridden it. Whether this is too much bike for me will be decided after I ride it. That is not my question. I just want to know how much this model has changed in the 15 years that have passed since it was new. I tried doing a search and discovered that the owners of the big KX love 'em, and they seem to agree that they are reliable. I'll stop droning on now, but would appreciate any knowledgeable KX owner filling me in. Thanks! :cool:

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Welcome to DRN! Your story is about the same as 50% of the DRN community. You are amongst friends here :cool:

Those big-ol KX's aren't for everyone. If you're riding in big open spaces, sand or big hills, the -500 is the E-Ticket though.

They haven't changed in 15 years. Like the KDX, Kawasaki hasn't put much R-N-D into that beast.

bocephous

Mar 15, 2005
Thanks Capt! I have a feeling that the beast will be too much for me, but wanted to be a bit more educated before I went to see it.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
From what i have gathered they haven't changed much over the years, cept for maybe BNG's.. A big bore bike too much power?? They only go as fast as you let them, you have a R1, thats alot of bike too..
BTW, welcome too DRN..
Rick

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Welcome to the site :cool:

I see where you have gone to your User CP and updated information relating to your location.

Regarding the KX, everything that I have heard mirrors the above comments. Where is Farmer John when we need him? he has more hours on the KX that all of us combined I would bet. He used to desert race with one.

Again, welcome to the site, and shout if you have any questions!

bocephous

Mar 15, 2005
Thanks Tony. I'm going to look at the KX next Sunday, and have also been searching online and through the Cycle Trader here in Florida for a 2000-2003 YZ250. Been researching a little and they seem to be a top notch 250 two stroke. I'd also have another Yamaha to keep my R1 company :nod: .

Top Bottom