New member of the dark (blue) side

TexXR

Jul 14, 2000
I bought a new '01 YZ426 last Friday. I had intended to wait for a '02 but I got an unbelievable deal on an '01.

Anyway, my question is about the headpipe. I haven't ridden the bike but I've started it and let it fully warm up twice. The second time I started it was at twilight. I had let it run for a few minutes and looked down at the headpipe. It was glowing red, very very red. I've seen this before on my XR400 but only when I left the choke on. Is this normal? It was a bit humid but surely it couldn't be running that rich. My alitude was about 300'. Jetting was stock.

BTW, I started it each time on the first kick.:)

LOOPOUT

Sep 28, 2000
when i got my 2000 426 i kinda freaked on the glowing header pipe at night but its ok. It only gets that hot when its sitting idling & i have yet to even touch my carb. I live in the austin, Tx area so about same alt as you.

will pattison

Sponsoring Member
Jul 24, 2000
worry not, tex. the glowing header is just one of the many things that sets the yz thumper apart from mere mortal motorcycles. congratulations! you have just entered the world of pure joy...

TexXR

Jul 14, 2000
I got to ride it yesterday evening.:)

I cannot believe that I've been beating some guys in my class who ride these things.

Will definitely need a flywheel weight in order to ride the nastys.

TexXR

Jul 14, 2000
Good question. I'll have to think on that one. Maybe I'll just keep my handle and become a spy.

I may be a bit preliminary in this statement but this thing actually starts a lot easier than my XR400. I've even tried to screw it up by warming it up, killing it, and then twisting the throttle. I restarted it on the first kick after I pulled in the compression release and rolled it through 5 or 6 times. I didn't even use the hot start. This was the biggest fear I had about the bike after hearing the stories and seeing bikes on the side of the trail. I've cold started it 6 times now and each time it has started on the first kick. I figured out real quick that after you roll it to TDC you don't let the kickstarter all the way up...only about 2/3's the way up, that way you have much more mechanical advantage on the kick. With it all the way up I can stand on it with one foot and it will not move, and I weigh 225 lbs!!!

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
Congrats TexXR. One ride is all it takes on that '01 to see why so many people have been buying them. "The best" 250 class MX bike? Debatable for sure. One heck of alot of fun, great handling, smooth addictive power that makes a 225 pounder like you feel like you weigh 170? You bet. Big guy on a big bike with lots of power and great suspenders - sounds like a match to me.

That 426 power is so cool. The secret is it makes 40 to 44 hp over a 5,000 RPM spread. Once you get it up above 5500 RPM it is simply dial-a-thrust, no shifting required.

Oh, flop it upside down in a revine a few times before you finalize your impressions on its starting:p .

TexXR

Jul 14, 2000
Another odd observation......I had added a set of 1.5" bar risers to my XR to open up the riding area. They moved the bars 1.5" up and 1.5" to the front. When I first got on the YZ it felt.....correct. I got a yard stick out and measured straight from the footpeg to the end of the bar on the XR and compared it to the YZ. The distance was within 1/8" of being the same. I then measured straight back horizontally from the end of the bar to what visibly looked like even with the peg. I compared this measurement to the YZ and the difference was only 1/4".

I think I have truly found heaven on earth. Life is good! :cool:

Blue Thunder

~SPONSOR~
Dec 20, 2000
Good deal man, glad you like the bike, I've had my 01' since Oct of 00'. They truely are great machines. I fouled a few plugs this winter in the cold, cold starting every one of them. I find the smooth yet brutal power addictive and fun. Along with the power comes the suspension, looks like you ride cross country. You will be amazed at how much faster you can take on obstacles with the bike. Get a re-valve and look out! Enjoy your new scoot! Jason

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
Sounds awesome indeed. From my friend's experiences with these bikes I've noticed the 400/426's start first or second kick each time. It's the 250F that can be a bear -- perhaps it is all the more on the edge to be competitive with the 125's? Or maybe some bore/stroke ratio thing.

Just a quick correction, though. It's a lean condition that would make the engine run hot, not a rich one. Thus it's the hot start valve that you'd be wanting to check rather than the choke. However, from the above posts this appears normal for this bike, especially while sitting and idling. Enjoy!

Jonny426

~SPONSOR~
Apr 30, 2001
The glow

The exhaust glow we're seeing on YZF's &WRF's is a combination of long cam duration,cam overlap, and the thin tubing used on the headpipe. Of course sitting and running your bike with no airflow over the pipe really heats it quick, mine's aglow in 30-45 seconds. I try to keep warm-up to a minimum,just church it for a few min. until the rad. and frame head(oil temp.) feel warm. Jonny426

Top Bottom