Tulio

Mar 16, 2001
I'm going to visit New Mexico a couple of times this spring and I'm wondering where the good riding is. Can someone tell me about the riding at Cloudroft?

I'll be staying just south of Albuquerque, so something mid-state would be great!

thanks

VOR 492

Feb 18, 2001
Yes I do believe there is riding in Cloudcroft area, Try the ranger station in the national forest. I Have never rode in the area, have been in the southern part of the state. Your bike would need a spark arrestor. Have fun, I think they run some enduros and/or harescrambles in the area.

Bill

------------------
1999 VOR 503cc
1999 F-550 4x4

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
If you wait till september there is an enduro at Cloud Croft. A lot of people around here go, but I might If I can't make the spodefest. I hear the trails are realy rocky. I think that the www.tscec.org page has pics of a race there in the pics section.

------------------
94 dirt only DR350

Trailryder42

Feb 6, 2000
Hey Tulio, check out my pic page for some good shots of Cloudcroft. Pick up a Lincoln National Forest "Travel map". It has all or most of the trails on it. There's a Forest Service station in Cloudcroft. The address and Tele# I have is:
Sacremento Ranger Station
PO Box 288
Cloudcroft N.M. 88317 Ph# (505)682-2551
You may be able to call them and get them to send you a map. I think that's what I did. There are a fair amount of rocks, not boulder size, more like softball size, but it varies. They're nice trails. You won't be disappointed. Vincent lives around there. He's the guy I talk to to keep up on trail conditions.

------------------
Derek
'00XR400
Trailryder42s Picture Page

Jun 14, 1999
Hey Tulio,
I'l second what Derek said...it's definitely not all rocks. There are some areas that are rockier than others, but nothing huge.

The further east you go from the west side road the less rocky it gets I've found.

Besides...it's worth it when you consider it's usually 75 degrees and sunny amongst the tall pine trees on the trails :)

Right now there is quite a bit of snow back under the trees since we've had lots of moisture this winter. It seems about the time its melting away, another weather front hits and dumps more snow up there. Thats good though...it will keep the forest from getting shut down later on due to fire danger.

Let me know if there is any further info you would like about riding here...I'll be glad to help.

Tulio

Mar 16, 2001
Hey guys,
Thanks a million for all the help and information. I can see from Derek's pictures that Cloudcroft's a fantastic area for riding or anything outdoors. I'll be flying out to Albuquerque on the 29th and hanging out with my girlfriend for a few days. Looks like I need to make a road trip south to check it out!
Wonder how many miles of trail's out there and is there some good challenging motorcycle ( tight ) trail out there?

Thanks again and by the way, Tulio is just a nickname. My name is Vince! my bike: CRE250

Trailryder42

Feb 6, 2000
I would guesstimate there's 4-5 days riding if you did it all. Depending on the amount of deadfall and trail conditions. Last year it took me all day just to ride the entire Rim trail cause it had deadfall all over it, that and I was alone. If I biffed, it was usually on the downhill side of the trail and I'd have to drag the bike back up to the trail. There are places that can be fairly challenging. Tricky, slick sidehills here and there. The trees for the most part aren't super tight. To me, Cloudcroft is one of those places where it would be a shame to just concentrate strictly on trail and not stop to take in the awesome views of the country that you're in.

------------------
Derek
'00XR400

Dougie

Mar 2, 2000
What timing, I too just posted on another site asking for info on New Mexico...Below is the post, any info on this area? Where is Cloudcroft located?

Help, I am looking for info on riding areas in New Mexico. Trails, forest and mountain please. Preferably around the Santa Fe, Taos area. Definitely north of Albuquerque. Enough to keep us riding for at least 4-5 days.

Me and some buddies are thinking of forsaking our annual Memorial Weekend Moab trip for something new. Average weather and riding condition info during that weekend would be appreciated too. Thanks.

Tulio

Mar 16, 2001
Hi Dougie, I'd like to check out your other post and see what that turns up there.

and Derek, I agree, the atmosphere will seal the deal. I don't think I could ride 4 or 5 days anyway unless it was really easy. A friend and I did a street ride last year from Taos out to four corners , up to Ooray and everywhere in between and I was wishing for my dirt bike the whole way. Loved that 6,000-10,000' summer air compared to that thick , sticky Texas ( You know ? last August )climate we'd ridden through.

Trailryder42

Feb 6, 2000
Dougie, around Toas you have Red River and Sipapu to ride in. Trail maps can be had at local stores. Sipapu trails are very challenging and rocky. In the Santa Fe area you have the Jemez Mts. just west of Los Alamos. Awesome trails. I think there's some riding near Espnola. Maybe some of the New Mexico guys can help you out some more.

------------------
Derek
'00XR400

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
If you happen to get up around the "four corners" area of NM there is a trail system called "Glade run" on the n.w. corner of Farmington.
Not a huge place, but has some fun singletrack!
Maps and info available at local B.L.M. office , or call 505-599-8900.
Just f.y.i.. :)

Tulio

Mar 16, 2001
Hey guys, Thanks again for all the great information you shared with me here.I stood there at "the gate" just out of Cloudcroft on April fools day, without a vehicle under 40" wide. But what a fabulous place! And what a cool little town. I've promised myself that I WILL ride there this year. Hope I can make a loop or two with some of you when I'm there.

Jan 7, 2001
Vincent (or other Southern NM riders),

I'm heading up to Cloudcroft this weekend and I'm looking for a recent ride report. Any rain in the last few days? I know its been dry. I'll give the ranger a call in the morning to make sure the place isn't closed to bikes. I haven't been up there in over 10 years. Any drastic changes? Anybody know the trail number/name that goes by a little cemetery up there (maybe less than 6 graves that date back to the early 1900s)? Any “must ride” or favorite trails recommendations? I’ve got a Lincoln National Forest travel map to reference. Thanks for the feedback.

Cheers,
Scott

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
I would definately call. A bunch of the guys in my riding club were planing on going, but I overheard someone at the meeting last night saying that they were closing the trails due to the fires and the possiblity of more. I would call the ranger to confirm before you haul.

BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
Jan 24, 2002
Guys you should definitely check before you come out, there is fantastic riding in NM but most of it is closed due to fire danger. I havent' checked out Cloudcroft, but the Santa Fe, Sandia, and a large part of the
Carson National Forests are closed up tight. In Albuquerque we are down to tracks for moto and some desert loops, no mountain riding near here. I couldn't even take the dog to the lake Sunday everything besides the cement boat ramp was closed, we couldn't get to the shoreline.

BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
Jan 24, 2002
White Sands is a National park (and a missile range) near Alamgordo, I don't think you can ride in it, maybe near it but most of it is marked with a no tresspassing under federal law sign and patrolled by USAF security. There is an MX track in Tularosa, and good riding outside Alamogordo in Cloudcroft, but I don't think that there is riding in white sands itsself. One of the Alamo guys would know for sure.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
I'll have to check this stuff out while I'm in Los Cruses next weekend!

Jan 7, 2001
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I talked to ranger Joe this afternoon. They closed all of Lincoln NF down today. I'm about to head out anyway since I've already rented a cabin. I'll do a few desert loops just south of Alamogordo and maybe head down to El Paso and ride around the canyons on the eastern side of the Franklin Mountains. I grew up there and the riding wasn't too bad (circa 1975-80). Oh well, I should get to checkout my old stomping grounds. Aguirre Springs in the Organ mountains (great hiking/camping place), White Sands (at night - pretty cool with full moon out) and maybe over to Carlsbad Caverns to see the bat flight.

Thanks again. I'm planning on going back this fall and run the Mile High Enduro this year. Maybe I'll see some of you guys there.

Cheers,
Scott

Top Bottom