JMD

Jul 11, 2001
I don't want to interfere with Tony's Moab trip, but I'm going to spend a week in April riding in southern New Mexico. My family has gone every spring for the last five years to a spot near Alamogordo, surrounded by miles of desert trails and rocky hills. We also make a day trip to Cloudcroft when the weather allows. This year we'll be going a bit later, around April 28 through May 3, so Cloudcroft should be open.

We camp out in an abandoned rock quarry sheltered from the wind. There may be guys with trailers there; I usually sleep in my van.

Anybody interested in going is welcome. We have riders of all skill levels, usually. The riding is great. There are whooped-out sandy trails for fifth-gear blasting, desert mountain trails through cactus and rimrocks, and sand dunes with bowl turns and big jumps. Cloudcroft is like Colorado -- beautiful high-mountain riding through pine trees and alpine meadows. Lots of rocks, too.

Let me know if you're interested.

the_monk

Sep 1, 2004
If I can stay injury free for a bit, I'm interested. What does a non-camping, never-away-from-home-for-more-than-a-day type do to prepare?

sgifford

N. Texas SP
Apr 11, 2004
Jim,

On our way to visit family in Az. later this month, we're going to do some riding in NM. How do the 'sandy trails' near Alamogordo compare to the sand at Muenster? My daughters and youngest son won't like riding in soft sand. Does this place have trails/terrain that are OK for people who don't like 'wallowing' in soft sand?

Seldon

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
Seldon, it's too sandy for beginners, I'm afraid. But try the National Forest around Cloudcroft. There are lots of fire roads and easy trails, and it's very pretty. Call the Sacramento Ranger District of the Lincoln National Forest, 505-682-2551. Website: http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/lincoln/

Monk, we'd love to have you go. You'd need a tent and sleeping bag. We buy groceries on the way and cook meals together. Bikes need medium-terrain tires. Don't buy new, they'll get ruined anyway; just run what's on there, unless they're brand-new; if they are, just put on some old tires. Heavy duty tubes and slime are good ideas; 15-17 psi prevents flats. Jetting is one step leaner on the needle, one or two leaner on the main jet. A big tank is a good idea, but I have an auxiliary tank that mounts on the number plate you could use if needed. A couple of spare air filters saves time, but we can clean them there if needed. Bring every spare part you have, just in case, and that's about it. We're usually pretty lucky -- few flats and breakdowns. We'd love to have you go with us if it works out.

sgifford

N. Texas SP
Apr 11, 2004
Jim,

This is looking pretty good to me. I've mentioned it to my wife, and I've got a few months to make the planets align for this. I would sure like to join you.

My wife, kids and myself had much fun riding in the Dona Ana mountains near Las Cruces on the way to Az. We only had a few hours, but it was nice anyway. Some dirt roads and dual-track that were OK for everyone to ride.

My daughter Dafni had fun riding with Jimmy and friends on Saturday.

I'm hoping we get a good winter storm out of the way, then have decent weather for riding over the holidays!

Seldon

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
Seldon: I should have mentioned the Dona Ana Mountains to you. There is some very nice riding there for beginners (and for anybody). Did you see the petroglyphs on the rocks up in some of the canyons? It's a very picturesque area.

Regarding the spring trip. I'd love to have you go. Ben would probably have a great time, too. Hope it works out.

Mudd Slinger

N. Texas SP
May 5, 2004
I would like to make one of those trips, especially to Cloudcroft. I have been around that area but not on a bike. But I am like sgifford, the planets would have to be perfectly aligned at the perfect time. They planets have been in the opposite skys lately.

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
Randy, let's see if we can make it work for you. You'd enjoy it, and we'd love to have you along.

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
This is growing into a New Mexico/Moab ride.

My sons Mark and Jimmy have gone with me to Orogrande, N.M., every spring break for the last five years. Scotty has never been able to make it, but he wants to go this year, to see our traditional camping spot, and the trails we love. Gene went with us last year, as did my friend Rick. But Gene can't go this year, because he has a trip to Moab planned for early May, too close to our trip. And Rick was a little disappointed with Orogrande's lack of scenic splendor (which I don't dispute, though I love the area). So he wasn't sure he wanted to go again.

So why not do both? We can leave the afternoon of Friday, May 5, hit Orogrande Saturday, ride the desert a day or so, then head up to Cloudcroft to ride the beautiful high mountain trails. Then we can drive to Moab (10 hours) Wednesday the 10th. Gene will be there with Teeds and five or six other guys, of all riding abilities. This is their third or fourth year going to Moab, so they know their way around pretty well. They're even planning a dual-sport ride one day. We can ride Thursday, Friday, and Saturday morning in the most spectacular terrain in the world, and leave for home Saturday afternoon, arriving Sunday May 14. (It's 16 hours home from Moab).

All three of my sons are going this year, and my nephew may even join us from Southern California. It's going to be epic, my friends. Epic.

Proxy

N. Texas SP
Mar 14, 2005
Wow, sounds like a helluva ride. Unfortunately, I have a few big (non-bike) trips planned this year so I may not have enough vacation time. I also thought about joining some KTM forum dudes for their Monterrey trip in Mexico in October. Hmmmmmmmmm.

I'll keep an eye on this.

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Jim: Orogrande (and Cloudcroft) is not far from Las Cruces; therefore I might be able to do it as a combined road trip. Moab is a stretch, yet it may be in the cards if only 10 hours away as you say.

I blew it by mounting fresh soft-terrain tires for the rain & susequent mud we just aren't getting here in Ca, but could order a set of 952s for this trip (my old 773s are in the waste site by now).

My bikes are not plated; green stickered, and have big tanks I can mount. I'd take my 250 and camp in my tent.

Would your nephew want to share driving duties w/me? It'd be just me as my sons have school & work.

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
Hey, Place, would love to have you along. My nephew is going to fly out from L.A. to SLC, take a bus to Moab on the 13th of May. We'll ride Moab Sunday and Monday, maybe the morning Tuesday, then drive to Cloudcroft and Orogrande, New Mexico for the rest of the week. We'll leave for home Saturday night the 20th of May.

By the way, here's a link to a great video of Moab riding, the infamous Five Miles of Hell:
http://www.ipiphotonet.com/domains/350/files/2140.wmv

Mudd Slinger

N. Texas SP
May 5, 2004
This is getting interesting. I am hoping I can pull this off but it is stretching it a bit. I am in the same problem with the vacation time this year since I changed jobs. I get 4-5 weeks but have not been here long enough to build up the time.

How much time off are we talking? That may make the difference.

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
I'm taking a full week off -- May 15 through 19. We'll use the weekends on each end for travel, etc.

Mudd Slinger

N. Texas SP
May 5, 2004
I am not sure if I will have that much time off by then. I should have 5 days if I don't use any more. I have the 2 day trip with my kids to Gilmer. If that falls through for some reason, I will have the time. I think I accum. 15 hours per month.

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
Randy, you could drive out yourself and leave early. I'm arriving at Moab Saturday the 13th. You could get there then, ride Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday, drive home Wednesday and only miss three days of work Just a thought.

Mudd Slinger

N. Texas SP
May 5, 2004
My daughter missed 2 weeks of school and work from being sick and now will not be able to take the time off work to go to Gilmer. We are thinking through the timing and the trip to NM/Moab and there is a chance. My boy wants to go to Utah but that is finals week at his school. Still negotiating. :clue: I may be alone if I go.

Last edited:

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
We can caravan on the way out, and we can even drive part of the way back with you, on our way to N.M., if you leave early. Somebody will probably want to escape the crowd in my van and ride with you, if you want. Hope it works out.

Top Bottom