AZDesertRat

Apr 18, 2002
Ijust bought a new FMF Gold Series muffler which was missing the 4" discs and end cap. I have ordered the parts form Dennis Kirk but am wondering how many discs I should start out with? I have already rejetted the carb, opened up the air box and installed he adjustable needle. Any ideas? I have contacted both FMF and Supertrapp which supplies the discs and neither bothered to return my e-mail. I am going to try starting with 8 or so???

mtngoat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
8 has been a good starting point on most SuperTrapp style mufflers I've had. More improves breathing at the cost of reduced backpressure, more noise and less low-end.

Uechi45

Dec 11, 2000
8 is also is the best for me with the same mods you have done. 12 gave me horrible low end, and 6 just seemed too choked up. This is on a '97 KLX300 with Supertrapp IDS2 with the stroker headpipe. Very loud though. Have you tried cutting 3 coils off of the carb diaphragm spring? Noticable improvement in acceleration. Have fun.

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
hey rat did u ask this at yahoo p-klx someone did? i run 8 also in strapp.i did the coils in the carb i diddn't see that much of a diff:( . i ride a kdx too maybe i was expecting the diff to jump out at me.love my klx and it runs great :)

AZDesertRat

Apr 18, 2002
I asked the same question on PlanetKLX, ThumperTalk and here. This board seemed to get the most replys. I installed the pipe this morning and took a short ride. It is a little noisy compared to my stock pipe with a 1" turndown tip. I wonder if a SuperTrapp EAR insert would fit inside it ?? I guess I will have to live with it for now until I can afford a White Bros. E series. My son in law has one of them on his WR426 and also on his XR250 and they are really quiet as wel as being light weight.

Top Bottom