AZDesertRat

Apr 18, 2002
Ijust bought a new FMF Gold Series muffler which was missing the 4" discs and end cap. I have ordered the parts form Dennis Kirk but am wondering how many discs I should start out with? I have already rejetted the carb, opened up the air box and installed he adjustable needle. Any ideas? I have contacted both FMF and Supertrapp which supplies the discs and neither bothered to return my e-mail. I am going to try starting with 8 or so???

mtngoat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
8 has been a good starting point on most SuperTrapp style mufflers I've had. More improves breathing at the cost of reduced backpressure, more noise and less low-end.

Uechi45

Dec 11, 2000
8 is also is the best for me with the same mods you have done. 12 gave me horrible low end, and 6 just seemed too choked up. This is on a '97 KLX300 with Supertrapp IDS2 with the stroker headpipe. Very loud though. Have you tried cutting 3 coils off of the carb diaphragm spring? Noticable improvement in acceleration. Have fun.

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
hey rat did u ask this at yahoo p-klx someone did? i run 8 also in strapp.i did the coils in the carb i diddn't see that much of a diff:( . i ride a kdx too maybe i was expecting the diff to jump out at me.love my klx and it runs great :)

AZDesertRat

Apr 18, 2002
I asked the same question on PlanetKLX, ThumperTalk and here. This board seemed to get the most replys. I installed the pipe this morning and took a short ride. It is a little noisy compared to my stock pipe with a 1" turndown tip. I wonder if a SuperTrapp EAR insert would fit inside it ?? I guess I will have to live with it for now until I can afford a White Bros. E series. My son in law has one of them on his WR426 and also on his XR250 and they are really quiet as wel as being light weight.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom