ThumpDog

Dec 8, 2000
I've been thinking about buying a Power Core IV muffler, removing the snorkel and rejetting. Does this improve the power much on the XR400. Is it worth the money? I have a 2001 model. Also, if I decide to buy, are there any special tools I need to take out the pilot and main jets??? Thanks!

------------------

penguin

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Feb 19, 2000
It wakes up the power quite a bit, and saves a couple of pounds. No special tools to remove the jets, just a 6mm socket and a screwdriver. you will find the bike will hit the rev limiter faster with the new pipe, requiring a quick foot on the shift lever.

------------------
You weren't born knowing this stuff.

mtngoat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
Just did it to my buddy's new XR4 (with a ~$250 White Bros E pipe); what a difference! As for the pipe, we compared performance between another new XR4, with the same mods and a ~$75 vortip. We all felt the performance gain was noticeable enough to be desireable. Whether it's worth the ~$175 cost differential is your call. BTW, both exhaust changes were reasonably quiet; important to our group.
No special tools needed for the jets. A manual is a good idea though.

------------------
Noscitur ex socio, qui non cognoscitur ex moto artem

[This message has been edited by mtngoat (edited 04-13-2001).]

[This message has been edited by mtngoat (edited 04-13-2001).]

XR4 Jockey

Apr 11, 2001
I've got a 96 XR400 with the PowerCore IV-2 muffler and did notice a difference. Before I had the OEM with the Vor-tip. The power is noticeable with the new muffler. The above post was correct in descibing it. It also gives it a deeper "thump", not as tinny. I also have a K&N filter, snorkel removed. My local shop guy put in 68/168 jets for the altitude and something about the moisture in the air. Me likey a lot, good luck.....

------------------
96 XR400, nicely modified

High Desert XR400

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2000
I just recently added the FMF PowerCore IV2 to my bike and was very happy with the results. It really "wakes" the bike up throughout the entire power range and is a lot more fun to ride. I would consider getting the new quiet version of the PowerCore if I were do it again, as it does make the bike louder. However, it is a much lower and deeper tone then stock and sounds pretty cool, just kinda loud.
;)

------------------
Ride it like ya stole it!
-------------------------
'00 XR400

Top Bottom