New MX version of CRF150R????

rodH

Aug 17, 2005
In the new dirt rider, they talk about how Honda will be coming out with a new version of the CRF150. The picture shows an aluminum frame and looks just like a small 450. Normally, this would mean nothing to me, BUT, my dad is like 5'6" (with very short legs) and bought a CRF250R. As it turns out he is too intimidated by how tall the 250 is. Stalling and having to start while climbing a hill is something that just isn't "fun" for him.

He ended up buying a TRX450 and loves it, but still would like to ride bikes every once and a while. Now obviously he isn't going to enter any SX races on a bike like this, but just the chance to play around on a bike might be fun. In the past, we have recommended a CRF230 (which is SUPER HEAVY) and a CRF150 (which really isn't all that light and doesn't have a high performance engine and chasis). Some have recommended putting a linkage on the rear of the 250, but you would also have to lower the front a lot to make the geometery correct, and I am still not sure it is low enough.

If this bike is the size of a 85 big wheel or a KX100, it could be a great solution for older guys or real short guys (and girls, like my WIFE) that want something about the size of a KX100, but something that has more low end torque/power and easier to ride with a more broad powerband. Also a bike that kids could ride instead of 2 strokes to get them ready for the big bike 4T's (which is what the intent of this bike sounds like).

Hopefully they go through with it.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
When they do it, it will be a high tech MX150cc for the 85cc class - highly tuned like the CRF250R.

Presumably it will be the size of an 85.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I saw that article, so many kids are rushing around talking about these bikes coming out. First off both the Yamaha and Honday are "artists rendering" of what they think they may look like. and then the text is speculation on what they feel may happen. A whole lot of nothing bascially. They are speculating that bike will compete in the supermini class, a 150cc 4 stroke will get killed by modded KX100's and KTM 105's. They would require a bigger displacement advantage and you can bet after the 125/250F fiasco that the AMA will be much more resistant this time.

The good news for your dad is he can sell that couch and his CRF and talk to AJ at Service Honda, they already make the perfect bike for him http://www.servicehonda.com/junior.html

rodH

Aug 17, 2005
Chili, I think if he would go that route, $9k is a little much. I would rather just have a rear link put on it $150, have the front suspension lowered ~$300, and put smaller wheels on it $~600 used. In other words, just add $1000 to the current bike and it would work just fine. The reason the 150 was somewhat attractive is because it would be pre-built by Honda.

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
Well at least you're aware of your options, my point was I would not hold my breath waiting for that 150. FWIW I'd take anything AJ produced just as quickly as something "pre-built" by Honda.

rodH

Aug 17, 2005
Chili said:
Well at least you're aware of your options, my point was I would not hold my breath waiting for that 150. FWIW I'd take anything AJ produced just as quickly as something "pre-built" by Honda.

Oh, I am not saying they don't do good work, all I am saying is that that bike is a bit pricey adn if you already have a 250F and money is at all a concern, I think there are other options.

rodH

Aug 17, 2005
FruDaddy said:
Or just cut the subframe and seat foam (<$100 if you can't do the welding yourself).

Who does this kind of work? I'd love to here more and how they do it?

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Most of it is self done, but any competant metal fabricator should be able to cut and weld the subframe in less than an hour. You simply take out a small section (8-10mm) of the lower legs of the subframe, then weld it back together. This may allow the tire to contact the rear fender, but that's more of an annoyance than a problem.
For the seat foam, you remove the cover, cut the foam, and put the cover back on. More detail discussion on both procedures can be found by searching these forums.

nfisher87

Oct 30, 2002
My buddy is the same height as your father and has the exact bike. As soon as he brought the bike home he took the suspension to a guy in maryland and for $120 he lowered the front and rear suspension and said the he could reset it to stock for free if he wants to sell it. I rode the bike yesterday and the suspension still works real well. It was lowered 2 inches. If you live near here I can shoot you his number. It's a real cheap and quick way to lower it.

richardgd

Jul 26, 2006
I also ride with a friend who is 5'6". He had an 05 CRF250 which he lowered by swapping the rear shock link and had the front lowered 1.5" at a Maryland suspension shop. He now has an 06 CRF450 which he lowered by replacing only the rear shock link and moving his front fork tubes as far up as possible. He had no problem reaching the ground with either one. I have ridden both and other than feeling really short worked great. I would recomment just replacing the rear link and saving some money. The link my friend used is a Kouba Link CRF3 and can be seen at koubalink's website . I think they run around $120.

highmileage

Jun 17, 2004
r0yal said:
I think you can purchase a lowering kit for the 230, if I remember correctly?

One of the easy ways to do it is actually an upgrade while your at it.

The best way to lower, and improve at the same time, is to put a set of CR85 forks on the bike with a set of CRF150 rims and spokes.

You can purchase a set of forks, triples, etc that come valved and sprung for you through Hlebo Bros at LINK Engine's Only LINK

Grab a set of Excel rims or stock 150 take off rims (available through many going the colored Excel route) in 19 inch front and 16 rear and mount to the stock hubs with the 150 spokes (CRF150/230 hubs are the same BTW). Mount them up with some Michelin MS2 tires and away you go. The stock 230 rims should be able to be sold for at least equal value to the 150 take off rims you just bought for the project. Also sell the complete front suspension/triples for an XR200 or other conversion that somebody wants to complete.

You have improved suspension (valved and sprung for you), lowered it, you now have cool looking wheels, and grab a Works Performance rear shock to add and you have a lowered, very functional 230 with fully adjustable suspension.

Power is not really an issue with the 230, as close to 30 hp is attainable for under $1K (251 cc kit, cam, exhaust, and XR250 take off carb with stock XR jetting that bolts right in using 230 cables and all). *** Edit: Vic's SA answer brought about me re-reading the post. It is a little optopmistic, however it is being done with the right set-up's, although 28 is not optomistic at all *** Equal hp and a little more torque to a stock uncorked/quiet CRF250X, with air-cooled extreme reliability and rideability. AND still not the cost of a lowered CRF250X.

Last edited:

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
highmileage said:
Power is not really an issue with the 230, as 30 hp is attainable for well under $1K

As measured on the Antarctica Motorsports dyno.

:)

john3_16

May 17, 2004
Just checked the specs on the new CRF150....

"and its rev limit is higher yet at a remarkable 14,300 rpm, which is 1000 rpm higher than the limit of the CRF250R, making it a real thoroughbred, through and through."

I wouldn't want to work on it...14,300 rpm...Sounds like a maintenance disaster.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
john3_16 said:
Just checked the specs on the new CRF150....

"and its rev limit is higher yet at a remarkable 14,300 rpm, which is 1000 rpm higher than the limit of the CRF250R, making it a real thoroughbred, through and through."

I wouldn't want to work on it...14,300 rpm...Sounds like a maintenance disaster.

Small, light valves- may not be a problem.

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
Not sure if this is a misprint but if you look on the honda sight under specs it lists the new CRF150R as having a 6 month transferrable limited warranty. If that's the case this may bankrupt Honda if these things are going to grenade at the intervals I expect them too.

ohvridr

Oct 21, 2005
Well we'll know soon enough a few dealers are reporting getting 5-20 in there latest shipments. Seen a few pics of some in the back of peoples trucks on other forums. If it were GREEN stickered, I'd buy one for my GF, but its RED. :(

If its a maintaince nightmare I'm worried about the effect it will have on racing. If less people race, that is bad for our sport. Maybe Honda will require all future dad's to have a degree in small 4 cycle engine repair. :)

Cheers,

yellow725

May 1, 2006
the dealer i work at got 2 in today i preped one and test rode it. beeing a new bike i didn't get on it hard but the little i did ride it was impresive. it seems to start easy it didn't have as much bottom end as i thought it would but easyer to ride than a 85. it was killing me to ride it hard i forgot to look at the maintence sugustion, if i remember i'll look it up and let everyone know what it says

rodH

Aug 17, 2005
yellow725 said:
the dealer i work at got 2 in today i preped one and test rode it. beeing a new bike i didn't get on it hard but the little i did ride it was impresive. it seems to start easy it didn't have as much bottom end as i thought it would but easyer to ride than a 85. it was killing me to ride it hard i forgot to look at the maintence sugustion, if i remember i'll look it up and let everyone know what it says

was it an expert or a normal version??

rodH

Aug 17, 2005
interesting this thread was moved, some people on this site and others have said that "true" mini or pit bikes are NOT the Size of 85's. They do NOT have a peremeter frame of any sort and they have aircooled engines, etc....

So is this bike a mini or not???

Top Bottom