New on Dirt Rider in NC

gdavisjr69

Feb 22, 2005
All,

Found this website and thought I'd join. I'm new to dirt bike riding, in fact, I haven't actually purchased a dirt bike yet. I have several street bikes... In fact, right now I have two, a HD Dyna Lowrider (that I need to sell) and a Suzuki SV1000s.

My son, who is 9, is trying desperately to talk me into getting two dirt bikes. I'm 35 and live in Gastonia, NC. Any good places to ride in this general vincinity? Also, any people that I could join up with, particularly somebody a little patient and willing to help somebody along. I'm not really sure exactly what sort of riding I'll do. I'd like to try a little MX, but probably will end up trail riding with my son mainly.

What sort of bike should I get? I'm about 6'2", about 190lbs, so I'm a little concerned I'll "outgrow" a 250 four stroke real quick... but don't really know. Right now I can get pretty decent deals on a Suzuki DRZ250 or a Suzuki DRZ400E. Brand new bikes that have been held over from previous years... not much difference in price. What are everybody else's thoughts?

Gerry

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Welcome to the site :cool:

I see where you have gone to your User CP and updated information relating to your location. We will do our best to hook you up with some fellow dirt bike enthusiasts.

Regarding your questions, check out the Southern Spodes forum for people in your general area. They will know about tracks and trails to ride.

Speaking of tracks, check out the TNT Motorsports Park website for information on and maps of how to get to the park. One of the premier parks in the the Southeast, TNT is considered by many here to be their home track.

Surf on into the What Bike Do I Get... ? forum for great information on what dirtbikes might suit your needs and desires. There is a great group of folks that hang out in there always willing to help a newbie. Run search for the each bike you have in mind and you will get tons of info. If your questions aren't answered, post up a new thread.

Again, welcome to the site, and shout if you have any questions!

450TRAILRIDER

Feb 7, 2005
Hi Gerry,

I live about 45 min north of you. Are you looking for local tracks or trails? I ride trails mostly and we have around 20 people that usually try to go somewhere about every weekend.

Some trails close to you are the Brown Mt. trail system, ( between Morganton and Lenoir ) and Brushy Mt Motorsports park in Taylorsville. Brown is closed from the end of Dec thru the middle of march. It varies greatly in terrain from easy to tight single track. Cost is $5/ day or $30 annual pass. Brushy is open year round w/ the exception of bad weather. Brushy is also a very family oriented with varying terrain and all one way trails. It has a nice bathouse w/ showers, and they fire up a grill on Sat & Sun for lunch. Cost is $20/ day or $250 annual membership.

My personal favorite is Brown. :)

I also have a small 5 acre track and trail system behind my house that my son loves to ride on his CRF50. You could come up and get your feet wet into riding if you would like. He sometimes has friends over on Sunday evening's after church. It stays pretty wet in the winter time, but he has fun.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I'm not familiar with the DRZ250, but we do have a CRF250 and a YZF250. You won't outgrow those.

I think a group ride is planned for the following weekend near Washington, GA. You're welcome to come try ours.

xsnrg

Jul 20, 2004
gdavisjr69,
At 190 lbs, you won't outgrow any of the 4stroke 250s mentioned above unless you just crave more power. It will depend on your riding style. If you are not opposed to a 2stroke, then a KDX200 or 220 or KTM 200, 250, or 300 EXC are great trail bikes.

As far as riding places, Brushy Mtn as described above is my favorite in NC, and is well worth the price of membership. Brown is also awesome. Probably closer to you is Uwharrie Nat'l Forest which has trails (read: jeep trails). It is about due east of Charlotte.

ps. When we were at Brushy in January, the owner was selling a CRF250X. I don't remember what he was asking for it, but their number is on the website. http://www.bmmspark.com/

gdavisjr69

Feb 22, 2005
xsnrg,

Thanks for the info. I'll check out the website mentioned. I really go back and forth between the KDX220 2 stroke versus either the Suzuki DRZ250 or DRZ400 four stroke models. I like the idea that the KDX220 is fairly light compared to the other two.

Gerry

gdavisjr69

Feb 22, 2005
450TrailerRider,

Thanks for the info on the various places. I'll do a search and see if I can figure out where these are. If you are serious about having me and my son up, I'll definitely take you up on the offer if and when we get some bikes.

Using this forum, is there a way to email you directly?

Gerry

98esten

Jan 3, 2005
I live in Winston Salem. I ride with a few guys I met at Thumpertalk we go to Brown mountain and also go to Brushy Mountain.

450TRAILRIDER

Feb 7, 2005

I know my son would love the company. He just turned 7 and is really into riding. I started him out when he was 5. My track is pretty muddy now but you are welcome to try it out.

I tried to post my e-mail address but the forum will not let me.

xsnrg

Jul 20, 2004
I haven't logged any seat time on the modern 4 strokes other than a very short test ride on the CRF250X I mentioned above. It was just downt he road and back and around a yard...not enough to really form an opinion on. I do love the KDX220, though. Perhaps ignorance is bliss and I just don't know what I've been missing, but the KDX is just a joy to ride trails and tackle ugly terrain. The only "nice to have" that I miss is e-start, but I've never had a hard time getting the KDX started and once it is warm especially, it always fires up on the first kick.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
If you click on a person's name, you should be able to select "View Public Profile". That has a link to send them an email.

George, if you want, I can post your email address or send it to him.

450TRAILRIDER

Feb 7, 2005
High Lord Gomer said:
If you click on a person's name, you should be able to select "View Public Profile". That has a link to send them an email.

George, if you want, I can post your email address or send it to him.

That will be fine. When I click on a person's name it say's that I dont have permission. I am pretty new here myself, so I don't know what I am doing wrong.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I sent it to him.

I also signed you up on several of "those" sites that send you all of that "interesting" email!

gdavisjr69

Feb 22, 2005
450TRAILRIDER said:
I know my son would love the company. He just turned 7 and is really into riding. I started him out when he was 5. My track is pretty muddy now but you are welcome to try it out.

I tried to post my e-mail address but the forum will not let me.

Let me try and give you my info and see if you can send me something. My profile name is my email address at hotmail.... Hopefully it'll make sense since it's not letting me put my email address in the reply. Shoot me an email. My son is 9, so he's a little older, but has never ridden. So it'll take him a little time just to get the riding part down. Also, I'm planning on getting him one of the 125 4 strokes (DRZ125, KLX125, or TTR125's), so he'll have to learn to use the brakes, clutch, everything at once... It may take himn a little while.

Gerry

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…