new pads on. stuck together. how to seperate?

YZHooligan

Oct 30, 2006
I put new brake pads on the front.
the caliper piston is out and there is no room for the brake rotor to slip in between the pads.
how do i separate the pads? the caliper pistons are nto moving inwards to make any room.

please help thanks

jschiller

Mar 5, 2007
The pistons must move back to their stops, use a piece of wood or soft material to force them back, also remove the brake fluid resevoir cover as the fluid level will rise a lot and maybe spill over!

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
Just use a large flat tip screwdriver and twist to separate the pads. No need to remove the master cynlinder cover. You can also use a c-clamp on the piston if the pads are removed to force the piston all the way in.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I'd only use the screwdriver trick with an old set of pads, then once the piston is pushed back into the caliper, put in the new set. No need to ruin a new set of pads..

nslick125

Jan 19, 2008
the c-clamp is the easiest thing i can think of. just take the pads back out and use the c-clamp to compress the cylinder. before u compress it make sure the bleeder valve is open or the master cylinder is open to let the fluid escape.

Top Bottom