new pipe and silencer installation?

Rookie03

Aug 6, 2004
Hey i just got a KDX200 for my first bike a couple months ago. Im a little bored with the power already and i hear a pipe is the best mod you can do for your money. It this something i could put on myself having limited experiance working on bikes? Thinking of getting a silencer too though i hear u dont get quite as much power from that. Thanx! :eek:

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
If you can turn a ratchet then the toughest part of the task will be taking the pipe springs off, it's a simple as that. Unbolt and remove silencer, unbolt pipe and remove pipe springs, pull pipe off. Reverse process with new pipe and silencer. I usually put just a touch of oil around the o-ring on the pipe.

bcVulcan

Nov 13, 2002
You can do it. FMF pipes are hard to fit sometimes. You may have to push, pull and cuss a little but it'll go. Most people go ahead and add the silencer but I read a DirtRider article that said it wasn't necessary. Looks cool though. I got my combo including installation and jetting for $300.00.

jirvine

Oct 21, 2001
I use a vice grip to pull the springs. That and couple wrenches is the easy part as you will most likely need to do some jetting. Get a little 6mm socket for the main jet. Not hard but getting the jetting right seems to take some voodoo.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…