tracetrimble

Oct 20, 2005
i'm considering throwing a new Wiseco piston in my well worn cylinder, and have a few questions... read this thread for some background: http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=126547

i have a rare opportunity to go riding this weekend, and i already have a new stock size Wiseco piston and topend gaskets on hand. i may sell the bike soon and upgrade, or i may tear it back down and rebuild it right. i would like to throw it back together for this weekend, and see how the rest of the motor is running (especially the crank & water pump seals) before making that decision.

- will putting the new piston in the old bore (see pics in other thread) damage the piston within 2 or 3 rides? i'd like to be able to reuse this piston and just re-ring it if i fix the bore.

- how should i go about deglazing the bore and breaking it in? (if you could call it that...)

- the topend gaskets i have seem to be sort of rubberized (Athena brand) - would it be possible to reuse the cylinder base gasket if i do rebuild? i haven't removed the head, so i'll have a spare head gasket from the kit anyway, and the cylinder base is pretty much the only one i'll use from the kit.

- should i bother dismantling and cleaning the exhaust valves?

thanks for all the help & patience. this is a great forum.

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
Ohhhhh you again....just kidding...see my responses...

tracetrimble said:
- will putting the new piston in the old bore (see pics in other thread) damage the piston within 2 or 3 rides? i'd like to be able to reuse this piston and just re-ring it if i fix the bore. why can't you reuse the old piston and just freshen the rings? I wouldn't put a brand new piston in there - think of the RPMS - a gouge in the cylinder can eat it up QUICK.

- how should i go about deglazing the bore and breaking it in? (if you could call it that...) - a ball hone - if you don't have one, try a local shop - they can clean it up for you.
- the topend gaskets i have seem to be sort of rubberized (Athena brand) - would it be possible to reuse the cylinder base gasket if i do rebuild? i haven't removed the head, so i'll have a spare head gasket from the kit anyway, and the cylinder base is pretty much the only one i'll use from the kit.
I wouldn't re-used any gasekets - a head gasket can be re-used if its copper (you can heat it red hot, then drop it in cold water). again for the cost a gasket, my opinion is do it right.

- should i bother dismantling and cleaning the exhaust valves? Yes - you are there - your pants are down, you're at the toilet, now let it rip!!! just kidding.

QUOTE]

tracetrimble

Oct 20, 2005
thanks nickyd.

i didn't want to reuse the old piston because the skirt was broken, i'm afraid it will break further and cause more problems.

i love an excuse to buy new tools - do auto parts shops carry ball hones? or is that more of a mcmaster type thing?

i agree re cost of gaskets, just wondering out loud on that one really. (a mistake i often make on forums)

thanks! :)

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
that's right - shame on me - I forgot the skirt was broken. Honestly, I'd avoid slapping it together just to ride this weekend.

mcmaster or brush research sell the ball hones. most auto shops don't - do a search for honing there was just a good thread about it.

Top Bottom