new rear shocks for 1976 ke 175?

schmanman

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 9, 2007
I am relatively new to dirt biking (ok, really new, started this summer), and wanted to increase the ride height in the rear of my bike, along with suspension travel.

I do not think you can have one without the other, right?
the stock shocks are a little worn out, and I was wondering where I could get replacements, maby a little longer than stock, but if that is not a good idea, maby some stock sized shocks.

maby a website or two that sell 'em would be nice. :nod:

thanks a bunch you guys!

(oh, any guidance you have to offer on this would be wonderful, thanks)

edit:

like this.these shocks are on much more of an angle than mine:
I know it's just a frame, but doesnt the laid back shocks allow much more travel?

hon_81_xr80.jpg

Last edited:

apb

Feb 1, 2005
progressive suspension and works performance would be the first companies I checked with for aftermarket shocks for your bike. You wouldn't want to raise the rear of the bike too much without also raising the front end a similar amount, or the geometry and handling of your bike will get much too quick and twitchy.

schmanman

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 9, 2007
that sucks. could I lay back the rear shocks, on more of an angle, like they started doing from the factory a couple years after it was made?

look at my original post for a pic of what I'm talking about.

2stroke

Nov 7, 2001

you can find lots of old shocks on that EnitirelyBigAuctionYard ....some give measurements eye to eye...Yamaha had some nice old shocks with built in resovoirs for the dampers...I wouldnt be afraid to go an inch or two taller, but it will change the handling!
Theres some guy on the above mentioned auction site that sells these old NOS ARNACO shocks...they are height and spring adjustable to some degree.

pryor

Oct 21, 2006
I have two sets of those NOS Arnacos they were still in the box marked 11-73 the guy on line wanted $65.00 a set, got mine in a trade. they are very adjustable but dont work very good, look real cool though.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Part of the problem with going very much higher is the geometry on the chain and swingarm. You can go a little higher without much problem, but if you go too high, it can sometimes be difficult to keep the proper chain tension throughout the motion.

pryor

Oct 21, 2006
On one of my yamaha 175s I use the shocks with built in resovoirs mine came stock on a 75 yamaha dt 250 but are the same as other years, they work good should be easy to find for almost nothing, just look for mid 70s yamaha enduros have seen these shocks on dt 175s-400s The ones I use are about 13 inches long and should fit easy on your bike and work great for the price.

Top Bottom