fire5

Jan 28, 2007
Just bought a new 50 tooth rear sprocket. What can I expect to increase/decrease???? I currently have a 49 tooth rear sprocket.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
You probably wont notice much of a difference at all. You'll have slightly less top end speed and the gears will be slightly shorter, but 1 tooth on the rear sprocket is not much of a change at all.

phranticness

Jan 4, 2006
I've found that the majority of motocross bikes I've owned are geared to high for trail riding, Even one tooth extra on the rear sprocket makes a difference when your running in second gear a lot. I like to make changes of 2 teeth at a time though, that seems to have a more significant impact.

Spokes574

Apr 27, 2001
1 tooth change in the front sprocket is like 3 in the back.
Folks rarely change the front unless doing desert high speed riding.

supercross bikes typically have 3 additional teeth added to give the bike boost out of corners and they typically never reach top end due to the tight quick turns so loss on top is not such a big deal for them.

Motocross typically on a 250 two stroke or 450 four stroke 1 tooth is enough to give a tad bid extra boost/acceleration out of corners and help the engine rev faster.
The extra tooth will reduce top end sooner, not be much but it is noticable. You will find you will have to shift sooner than you did with the original sprocket.

In the 10yrs I have been riding, 1 tooth has been just right on bikes that I wanted extra boost out of corners.

The only time I would add two teeth if it wasn;t for supercross would possibley be for trail riding. I did this on my wife's 125 to give it extra boost on the bottom since she does not rev the bike too high. I heard of some folks doing on a 250F's but I wouldn't due to having to shift too soon for my liking.

Spokes574

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom