New rear tire, down to two choices. What should i get?

May 18, 2006
Hey folks, im in the market for a new rear tire. I live in Virgina and do alot of off road, not so much moto, anways ive narrowed my choices down to two. The IRC M5B and the Maxxis IT M7305, and from research both of these tires seem to be great all around tires for various types of terrain. Id just like to have feedback from anyone with any advice that may be helpful in making the choice. Thanks again!

-Ryan

:edit:

also, anyone know wich of these tires weighs the least? if both are heavy, i have heard the maxxis is... any other suggestions that arent so heavy?

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
basically just pick a tire and go with it, I tried the same type of thread with which tire, etc and to some people certain tires are indestructable but to other the same one falls apart easily. Its a real brain teaser, i ended up going with the maxxis c6001 for my rear but havent ridden it yet so can give you info but seems like one mean arse tire

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Not sure what your terrain is like, but so far the best all-around off-road rear tire I've tried, and I've tried a lot of rear tires, is the Mitas ET-01 trials tire. Yes, a trials tire on an off-road bike.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Before switching to a trials tire I ran the Pirelli MT16 (old-school 5-4 knob pattern) on the rear with very good results. Lots of the top New England off-roaders run the MT16. Another decent tire is the IRC VE33 (has an offset 5-4 knob pattern), it's about on-par with the Pirelli. FWIW Kenda makes a tire that's almost identical to the MT16, but a whole lot cheaper. A lot of vintage guys run the Kenda's. I never have so I can't comment on it.

Not sure if any of these tires are an option for you unless you got an 18" rear rim.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
did you check out the irc m5b as well?

May 18, 2006
^lol, yeah that was one of my "final" two choices..... now its 3, yeah it never ends, honestly i feel that the 5-4 pattern has worked for a long time with alot of riders, so why not try it.... thats what im leaning to, plus its cheap lol

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
yeah man picking a tire is confusing as can be, i was all set on the irc m5b but went to my local dealer and for once they actually hooked me up with a tire for a fair price so i ended up going with the maxxis c6001. Got it for $40 so i couldnt pass it up. Up untill that point i was switching what kinda tires i wanted about every two hours after reading many many thread on here :bang: They all seem like a good choice that you have picked so i would just grab one up instead of racking your brain over it cause it will only get worse :rotfl:

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
I really don't like the Maxxis C6001. Didn't last very long. I have a Kenda Milville right now that is really good. I have 3 hard races and about 5 more rides on it and it's worn about 25%. I'll probably use it until my next race (end of June or July 2nd) and get another one. Really good tire.

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
i have been running the IRC M5b on multiple bikes for the last 4 years. I honestly dont plan to even try another tire as long as IRC keeps making these. I was getting a full year out of the rear tire, even on a WR500 (2stroke). It works very well in sand, mud, and loam, and even performed well in the rocks of Colorado. A few of my riding buddies have also made the switch and are happy with the tire. I havent tried the Maxxis tires, but have tried the IRC and like it. I have absolutely no problems recommending this tire.

Top Bottom