New rider 2-smoke vs YZ426F vs YZ250F

And1

Apr 20, 2001
Howdy, I'm new hear! Anyways I would like some input on a new bike. I am 19 and haven't ridden in five years (I totalled my old DR125 and my mom wouldn't let me get another one). I went and rode some trails with my friend on his '93 RM125 and fell in love with riding again. But I nearly looped his on the first jump (not used to 2-stroke hit). I am going to buy a new bike and I think that I want a 4-stroke due to maintenance and smoothness. I am 6'3" 180 lbs and fairly athletic (I ran track in college). Would the 426 be to much bike to relearn on? Would I outgrow the 250F? My dealer will make a deal on a 426 so that i the direction I am leaning, but I hear that it is an old man's bike, no offense. Please give me some input, thanx in advance.:confused

------------------

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
Bet that yzf250 would keep you happy for more than a little while. Re-sale will be good as well when you (if you) decide going big bore works best.

------------------
2001 VOR503 V-Cross
1982 husqvarna XC430
1974 Bultaco Frontera 360
6 Kids, Four Ride, 3 race. (cr125, yz80, 2 KX125's)
Case 780, INT 1066, Ford LTL9000...and a Percheron

FlyingFinn

Oct 25, 1999
I think that 250F would be best choice for you. It's light, has all the power you need. Resale value should also be high.

------------------
1996 Yamaha YZ 125

And1

Apr 20, 2001
Would my weight 180LBs be an issue on the 250F? I am just going to start out on the trails, but I am wanting to race in the future if I don't kill myself on the trails!

------------------

Hokie

Sponsoring Member
Sep 28, 2000
Originally posted by And1:
My dealer will make a deal on a 426 so that i the direction I am leaning, but I hear that it is an old man's bike, no offense. Please give me some input, thanx in advance.:confused

He, he, he, that is pretty funny!

That is what all the young'ins say 'cause they are scared of them! :p

Seriously, you should try to find somebody who has one and ride it first. As for it being too much to learn on? That depends on the person.

My first MX bike was/is a '99 yz400. That is what I learned on, but to tell you the truth I was scared to death of it for the first few months. I did not go out right away and try to jump everything and end up wadding myself into the ground.

------------------
Believe none of what you hear, and half of what you see.

Frosty

Nov 15, 1999
And1, don't let your weight affect your decision too much. I'm around 185 and the stock suspension on my WR250F works great. I don't moto, but if I did, I'm sure a little tweaking would make it work there, too. I came off a WR400 and there is quite a difference between the 250's and the big bores - both have their goods and bads. So much depends on what type of riding you're planning. The terrain around Abilene is open enough that a 426 would be cool, but if you're going to ride any of the Texas enduros that are tighter, the 250 is much less tiring and a hoot in the trees. If you're going to moto alot, you might be happier with the power of the 426 based on your size. I'd sure try to ride both before making a decision. By the way, a buddy in Lubbock has a nice 2000 426 for sale, excellent condition (check Thrifty Nickel online).

------------------

MXN4FUN

Jul 7, 2000
And1 I go 235 without gear and the 250f pulls me around just fine. I own both a'01 250f and 426. But the 250 is such a hoot, I can ride all day without tiring and it makes me feel completely hero. Everything I double on the 426 I can do on my 250. I am a Vet A rider so I have some experience. I don't race the 250f because we have short 5lap sprint races here and I can muscle the 426 around for that length of time. Plus 125A isn't ready for a 235# 35 year old rider...or maybe I'm not ready anymore. You can't go wrong with either bike but the 250 is more confidence inspiring. The 426 can be a handful sometimes. Especially when you get tired.

------------------
I'm in shape....Round is a shape.

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
So joe what was your total cost? How would that truley compare to a WR?

Also are you guys able to ride out there yet? ( 75 and sunny in Colorado )

------------------
2001 VOR503 V-Cross
1982 husqvarna XC430

Rodzilla

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 1999
Hey Buckholz,

He said he wanted a thumper. ;) Remeber SOME of us can't afford one of those punkin' bikes! Let alone find one (orange thumper that is!)

Boy the 400/520 m/xc sure looks good!
Guess when money starts falling outta my behind you can follow me around with a bucket!

------------------
Don't worry, it only seems kinky the first time..

AMA Member
Blue Ribbon Member
Colo. Off-Highway Vechicle Coaliation member
One of the first 25 DRN Members (I'm proudest of this one!)

Buckholz

Mar 15, 2000
Uh, doesn't the title of this post include a reference to two strokes?

BTW, My 2000 XR650R has cost me more than the 2000 KTM380exc when you add up repairs and time spent fixing....

------------------

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
Actually Rod Zilla does quite well on his Honda XR400. Doesn't need any stinking new motorcycle that cost a boat load of bucks.

Thanks Joe. Gezzzzz that a lot of bucks. Thats past KTM 2 strokes, Husqvarna 4 -strokes and on into the VOR-KTM 4 stroke -Husaberg territory. With lights. But I got to believe having that YZ base bike allows you to play MX if you like. The versatility might be worth the plunge to some.

------------------
2001 VOR503 V-Cross
1982 husqvarna XC430

[This message has been edited by weimedog (edited 04-20-2001).]

Hawaii-Rider

Feb 24, 2001
And1
I cant resist this one.........
:D
YZ250f is more than enough.......
As had been said very well above, after a "couple" of years riding and chasing what I thought was the ONLY solution to anything (pure horsepower that is) I love my WR250 (Ive ridden the YZs as well, WR is way faster top end). I still have the CR-500 racked and ready to ride and do...but if I am going to ride long, in a long race, tight stuff, slippery, snotty, technical....give me the WR. I can ride it all day and not have the HP make me feel like I just stepped out of a blender after 20 miles. Weight (as little as you can get) well set up balanced suspension and smooth (smooth I say.......) power delivery is IMHO....worth more than a butt load of HP, any day. Now you want to run sand dunes, big ol hill climbs and just pure out acceleration, let me have my CR and wear a good chest protector and full face helmet!
:)
I work out every day from weights, running etc and the 500 (and I have ridden the 400s etc) will flat wear you out on a long ride, at least in the stuff I ride in (dont do desert stuff). I weigh probably over 235 with my gear on, 6'3"...and the WR-250 will open my eyes, it has no problem hauling me around with authority.
good luck in your choice.....excellent views here in the forum with a lot of riding experiance......ride one if you can..before hand.......too bad your not in Hawaii (but thats okay, I am) ;)
.....I'd let you take mine for a good long run!
Good luck!
HR

------------------
CR-500
Maxed out to run in the woods........and now the new toys.....WR250F added to the stable (stock for now) :)

And1

Apr 20, 2001
Thanks everyone, ya'll gave me some stuff to think about. I went tot he dealer today and they have a 426 that has only been ridden once and then brought back (kid couldn't start it!). After listening to all the posts I might just have to hold out for a 250F. I want something I can really throw around and get some sick air on (if I get brave enough)! One more question, should I spring for the wr or yz? I will start out trail riding, but I might moto in the future. I might even convert it to dual sport, is this possible with a YZ? Can a WR take MX? Thanks again for all your advice!

------------------

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
What an awesome time to buy a motorcycle. So many good choices.

Maybe those like myself do better with slow turning big bore four strokes and those with lots of energy and hormones need the little 250 four stokes to allow them to pace (control) themselves when things get tight. Has to do with patience and throttle control.

Kinda like that joke about the old bull and the young bull standing on a ridge over looking a pasture full of cows.....

That 250 would probably be just fine...I Don't really think you CAN make a bad choice with the current crop of four strokes, big or small. But you can make a better choice informed.

And don't forget to check out these posts to see who has the most problems...real data here. Priceless stuff you can't get from the magazines.

------------------
2001 VOR503 V-Cross
1982 husqvarna XC430

TriPower

Apr 3, 2001
And1, how do you ride? Riding style will dictate whether you prefer the 426 or 250. Both have more than enough power. I'm allergic to heavy bikes :), so the 250F is the perfect 4S for me. You will never "out grow" the 250F, just like you will never out grow a 250 2-stroke. I get the impression that people think the 250F's power is close to a 125. It isn't! Peak RPM horsepower may be close, but anything below that favors the 250F by a very large margin.

I've only had my bike for 3 weeks now, but maintenance seems about the same as a 2 stroke. Less top ends, but many more oil changes and oil filters (around $15 per change with filter).

Hope this helps,

-Joe

------------------

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
joe427 is right, imo--trying to convert a yz250f into an enduro bike is making things too hard on yourself (i started doing 1 too, b/f i rode a wr & gave up). you are better off starting with a wr, b/c even tho you can w/enough $ make most of the conversions, the wr's gearbox is way better for off-road. another expense to add to the list: the yz has plenty of power, is way too loud for off-road, will not pass a sound test. the wr is either choked up & quiet, or uncorked & way too loud, too loud to pass a sound test. yam should do better on this.

Top Bottom