G FORCE

Jul 30, 2007
Hello!

My name is Gabe and I am just starting to ride. I picked up a 2004 KTM 125SX last week and have taken it out twice so far and absolutely love it. The learning curve is steep but I'm getting there. There are plenty of places to ride here, so that is a good thing. My dad bought a 2003 Suzuki 400 as well, so he is riding with me so it makes it pretty fun.

Anyway, that's my intro. Hope to see you all on here and learn a bit more about this hobby! :)

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Welcome to DRN, enjoy the time with your Dad.. mine still thinks I'll break my fool neck....31 years latter :whoa: Props to your understanding Dad. :cool:

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Welcome to DRN. I'm from ABQ. as well. There are plenty of great areas to ride around here, so if and when you get bored, let me know and I'll give you the low down on where the trails/tracks are. Keep reading, this site is dirtbiker college...Matt

G FORCE

Jul 30, 2007
kmccune said:
Welcome to DRN, enjoy the time with your Dad.. mine still thinks I'll break my fool neck....31 years latter :whoa: Props to your understanding Dad. :cool:

No kidding! haha, we have been out about 4 times now and I'm the one the worries about him LOL. He's biffed it a few times now so he needs to be a little more careful :coocoo:

Hey Matt, that's awesome man! Glad your local over here. I've only been up to 9 mile hill and Montessa so far but they are pretty fun. I really like the backside of 9 mile cause it has a lot of variation. Montessa was really tough for me cause it is so steep and loose + my skillz suk! :)

Where do you ride at, Matt? What do you ride?

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
I ride out at Sandia MX for the most part. It's about 10 miles farther west than nine mile. I don't ride Montessa, or Nine Mile very often. Neither are much fun for me any more. They are very good places to learn and improve your "skills" though. I do take the girlfriend out to Montessa to watch/teach her a couple times a week though. Prolly be out again Wednesday afternoon....

I currently ride a '05 KTM450SX. Love it. But, As closely matched as the bikes are these days, I'd prolly love any one of them! Hit me with a PM and we'll meet up sometime. Matt

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
On a side note, be careful about going riding with that VintageDirt guy.....He'll take you through some crazy trails!

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
YZ165 said:
On a side note, be careful about going riding with that VintageDirt guy.....He'll take you through some crazy trails!
No need to worry about that, he's a candy azz and has given up on dirt. But then I hear he's given it up before and it didn't stick. He's sort of old and grumpy so he'd likely jump on the chance to take a newb for a ride. ;)

G FORCE

Jul 30, 2007
I've heard about Sandia MX before, sounds like a blast! I'll have to check it out once I get some more riding time under my belt. I figured both Montessa and 9 mile weren't very techincial or maybe just didn't tailor to bikes very well, there seems to be predominately quads out there? :whoa:

Matt, you will be out at Montessa tomorrow? A friend of mine is going to look at an '02 CR125 today cause I have been pressuring him to buy one now that I have one. We were actually thinking of taking them out on Wednesday so maybe I can convince him to go over there instead of 9 mile. What time do you think you will be out there?

VintageDirt, too funny! :cool: Seems like I am going to need a lot more practice before I can hang with you guys. I'm trying to get out 3 times a week, at least before the fall semester starts up. It would be cool to meet up with you all sometime.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Shooting for around 5-6pm.

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
G FORCE said:
VintageDirt, too funny! :cool: Seems like I am going to need a lot more practice before I can hang with you guys. I'm trying to get out 3 times a week, at least before the fall semester starts up. It would be cool to meet up with you all sometime.
G, I don't have a suitable ride so I can't really hang with anybody anyway. Besides, Matt is the evil one, not me. Just ask Wally how he liked the crevice that Matt made him ride on an XR650R. And if Matt shows up with a ramp/trailer/awning/grill thingy, don't ride on it.

You were warned. :p

aaldape

Mar 18, 2007
Just wanted to say hey from Alb also :cool:

I am definitely a beginning dirt rider too, but I have been riding for a few months. Hopefully I can tag along with some of the other guys who are just looking to practice (still not ready for the MX track at SMRI, although I have done a few track days on the street bike). Oh, and I'm rockin the 1997 Honda CR250 :)

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
VintageDirt said:
And if Matt shows up with a ramp/trailer/awning/grill thingy, don't ride on it.

:rotfl: I only bring that out on special occasions VD....Been thinking about adding a burner for a big pot so you can make Green Chilli stew, and JunkJeeps can make more gumbo! Damn that was good stuff!

And aaldape, hit us up, I'm out all the time!...

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Say guys (to hijack the thread): Sipapu National Trials is coming up this w/e - I was invited to trail ride up there; anyone been there before? What about camping? The guy who invited me has never been there before, and wants to spectate the trials event.

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
I haven't been to Sipapu in years. They used to do a fun poker run and there was a camp ground near the ski area, for free. Sipapu is surrounded by Carson National Forest and Pecos Wilderness and since it's raining this year you can camp just about anywere.

This might help http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/carson/recreation/camping/index.shtml

Doh! I just found this too http://www.nmtrials.org/sipapu/sipa_lodge.htm

I seem to recall a time when me and Dave Hartwick went riding up there, got lost, ran outta gas, and lived to tell the tale. Even tried to write a story about it but I forget where it got to.

G FORCE

Jul 30, 2007
LMAO, you guys are too funny!

Matt, I know we are riding today, but not sure where at. In light of the fire over at 9 mile, I don't know if we will be able to ride over there so we may in fact be at Montessa. If so I'll look for you.

VD, look for that story for us as it sounds pretty interesting! At least a recap of sorts. :cool:

aaldape, welcome! I would definetly be down to ride sometime, especially with another beginner.

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
G FORCE said:
VD, look for that story for us as it sounds pretty interesting! At least a recap of sorts. :cool:
Truth be told, I sorta lied. I know exactly where it is.

G FORCE

Jul 30, 2007
VintageDirt said:
Truth be told, I sorta lied. I know exactly where it is.

;)

Hey aaldape, are you selling a '98 CR125 on craigslist? If so, my buddy Kyle is the one who is trying to see it tonight. If that's not you it must be a weird coincodence with emails and screen names. :bang:

aaldape

Mar 18, 2007
Ha, nice. Yea that is my girlfriends 125 we are trying to get rid of. It was way to fast for the way she rides... Small world man. I would keep it since I don't mind tooling around on it either, but I am trying to save money for my first handgun :)

I would say lets try to get a ride in this weekend, but I need to clean my carbs (float is stuck and I leak gas out the overflow), and then I need to put on the new throttle/throttle tube I ordered since mine had jammed up...

Seriously, I wish I had as much time to ride as you guys do. Work and school is such a pain in the nuts...

G FORCE

Jul 30, 2007
Seems like a nice bike! See if we can't get one more local member on here.

I hear ya man. That's cool, I think we will be out Saturday evening again if you get everything done by then.

I'm trying to get in as much riding as possible before the fall semester starts, then it will halt to maybe 1x a week. I work and go to school both full time so ree time = 0 :(

What ya studying?

aaldape

Mar 18, 2007
Yea hopefully he likes it. It runs like a champ, I just don't have a title for it... We will see if that is an issue for him. I got my prior bikes in CO where a title isn't made for offroad bikes...

Yea, free time is really hard to find with so many obligations, not to mention other hobbies like trying to road race :cool:

Are you going to be going to UNM? I just got my mech engineering degree in the fall, and am starting my graduate degree this upcoming semester. I definitely think riding is going to be a good release from school though...

We should definitely get some rides in though, regardless of where your friend gets his bike :nod:

G FORCE

Jul 30, 2007
I know he is considering another bike as well but I don't know the details on what/when/whatever. Either way I am sure your bike will sell fast, seems like a very bike for a good price.

I am currently at Anderson pursuing my BBA in MIS. I have 3 semesters left...so yeah it's taking me 5.5 years to get my degree but ah well. I am immediately going to go for my MBA after that. Congratulations on your accomplishments, engineering is tough!

I am very down to ride!

G FORCE

Jul 30, 2007
Hey do you guys have like a "New Mexico" or "Albuquerque" thread on here? I know on one of my car forums, 3si.org, we have an "ABQ" thread that has something like 2,000 posts but it's cool because we all kind of chit chat and keep up with what's going on locally. I am not sure if that is tolerated on this forum but maybe something to think about if there is interest? Just a thought...

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
G FORCE said:
Hey do you guys have like a "New Mexico" or "Albuquerque" thread on here? I know on one of my car forums, 3si.org, we have an "ABQ" thread that has something like 2,000 posts but it's cool because we all kind of chit chat and keep up with what's going on locally. I am not sure if that is tolerated on this forum but maybe something to think about if there is interest? Just a thought...

Check out the Team DRN Mile High Chapter forum for opportunities to hook up with some fellow DRNers. Scattered from Southern New Mexico to Northern Colorado, these fellows cover the extremes of riding in the US, from desert to 12,000 foot mountain passes.

Welcome to the site BTW :)

G FORCE

Jul 30, 2007
Thanks, Tony. I'll check it out.

f1uffy, he has you training? Nice! We went out to 9 mile yesterday, sorry we didn't make it to Montessa. Maybe next time.

Top Bottom